FabFilter Pro-Q
FabFilter Pro-Q
Publié le 10/19/10 à 13:30
The FabFilter Pro-Q is an in depth equalizer/filter plug-in. It's available for both Mac and PC operating systems and in VST, AU, or RTAS formats. I don't own this plug-in, so I wasn't the one to install it. I work as an assistant engineer for a producer on a freelance basis and he's got this plug-in at his home studio, which he swears by and has really turned me on to it. I love the interface of the Pro-Q as beyond just looking awesome it's super easy to use and provides as much or more control over what you can do as any EQ plug-in out there. The graph is extremely helpful to plot your points, and you can have up to 24 bands of EQ, so you're never going to run out of options here. It also has a zero latency mode, which is always nice. I wouldn't say that it's necessarily hard to use this plug-in, but there's a ton that you can do with it and it certainly took me a number of uses to learn everything about it, and I'm still learning little things here and there. A manual or a general overview of the plug-in would be a good idea for a new user.

The system that I've used the FabFilter Pro-Q on is Pro Tools HD based. I don't know all the specs for the system that he's running, but it's an Apple G5 computer and Pro Tools HD, so not too many plug-ins are going to lag here. Even while this may take up more processing power than most EQ's out there, you still should be able to run a good amount of them once if you're currently able to run plug-ins without issues.

The FabFilter Pro-Q is probably my favorite EQ plug-in. It's just so in depth that it trumps most other EQ's out there based on flexibility alone. It also has a number of features like zero latency monitoring that you're just not going to find on most EQ's. However, the crystal clear sound of the Pro-Q makes it what it is. This is the perfect one stop shop for equalization and filtering, whether you're looking to remove a certain frequency or bring out certain colors in your sound. The price of the Pro-Q isn't too bad considering what you're getting here. If you're looking for something really cheap to get started with, the Micro plug-in is a one band EQ and is good place to start. If you're looking for a top of the line EQ, the FabFilter Pro-Q is the one I'd recommend.