Nomad Factory PULSE-TEC EQs

All user reviews for the Nomad Factory PULSE-TEC EQs

• Nomad Factory PULSE-TEC EQsPublished on 12/15/10 at 19:23
    The Nomad Factory Pulse-Tec EQs are a set of three EQ plug-ins in one, designed after the legendary Pultec equalizers. You can't use each of these three processors individually, but each is their own processor essentially and has a different function from the others anyway. Included is the MEQ-5 Mid Range EQ, EQP-1A Program Equalizer, and the Pre-2S Stereo Preamplifier. I'm not the owner of this plug-in set but have used it a bunch at the studio where I work, and wasn't the one to install it. The interface of the plug-in shows the three EQ's stacked together, each of which are pretty basic and easy to follow. For a more in depth overview of each of the processors, check out my individual reviews for them. I've never seen the manual for the Nomad Factory Pulse-Tec EQ's...

The studio I work at has the Nomad Factory Pulse-Tec EQ's running on a few different systems on site. I've mostly used it in our main room with is Pro Tools HD based, like the other rooms are. This room has a Mac Pro computer with 10 GB of RAM and dual 2.66 Ghz Intel Xeon processors, which is more than enough to run this plug-in. I have yet to encounter any problems when it comes to performance with any plug-ins on this system, so it's not the best judge and I can't really say how well it would run on an LE system or something comparable.

The Nomad Factory Pulse-Tec EQs plug-in is a great way to get three plug-ins in one at a very cheap price. These plug-ins compliment each other quite well and are of course best used in series, but it's also nice to have even if you just want to use one or two of the processors at once. They certainly aren't going to give you a Pultec sound inside the box (as nothing will), but they definitely sound good enough to print with and in general can be very useful for both simple equalization and beefing up your sound a bit with the virtual preamp. I'm not sure that this would be my first recommendation for a Nomad plug-in set, but it's definitely a worthwhile one if you've already got a few of the more complete packages...