or
Create an account

or

Thread miking a guitar cab

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 miking a guitar cab
okayyy, so i have a few questions here that would be greatly appreciated if i could get some help with. Im trying torecord my band. FOr a setup right now i have my Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO, which goes into my M-Audio Quattro USB interface, which goes to my PC, i record on Sonar 4. It all works fine and everything, i just need a few tips on getting a good sound. I'm a drummer, and i've been focusing on getting a good drum sound, i've been reaserching that, and i've been doing pretty well with it. I need some help on Guitar though, i know that miking the guitar cab with an sm57 works great, but i judt not sure on the best ways to do it exactly. how far from the speaker do i put the mic? is it better to use the direct port in the back? I'm using a marshall jcm 800 amp.

Also, im sorry for having a book of questions here, but, if any of you could let me know thebest way to record screaming vocals? Like a low hardcore/metal type of screaming.

thanks so much!
-pete:D
"is it better to use the direct port in the back?"

No. That won't work. I'd put the sm57 pointed right at the center of the speaker about 5-6 inches away from the amp. Crank the amp up to get rid of any outside noise. Then have the guitarist play and move it closer to the amp and listen carefully until it sounds best for your amp, mic, guitarist and musical style.
the way i would do it is aim the mic directly at the center of the cone...most likely itll be too crisp....set up the stand so that it can serve as an axis of rotation....so just rotate the mic out slowly until you get the sound that you want... personally i think it sounds the best a little out of center....somewhere outside of where the dust cap meets the cone.....

and once again.....you dont wanna go direct

BATI