Create an account

or

Thread Recording help

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Recording help
Hi all,

I'm trying to make some good quality recordings of drums and keyboards. I have a Fostex FD-4 digital 4-track with a 1Gig Jaz drive, an 8-channel Peavey powered mixer, a somewhat wimpy computer (600MHz Celeron, 192MB RAM) with Cakewalk Home Studio 2002, and four microphones (Shure SM58 and SM57, and two cheap mics - Audio Technica I think).

Currently, I have all four mics on the drums (SM57 on the snare, one of the cheap mics on the bass, and the SM58 and the other cheap mic overhead) running into the mixer, then output into one track on the Fostex. The other track on the Fostex (since I can only record two simultaneous tracks) is a direct line in from the keyboard. The drummer can monitor the keyboard through headphones plugged into the mixer, and the keyboard player can use the headphone jack on the keyboard, so there won't be any sound in the room except the drums. Other tracks will be added afterwards (percussion, bass, organ, etc.). I'd like to transfer each individual track into Cakewalk so that I can equalize, add effects, etc.

So, my questions are; 1) How do I synchronize the tracks once I transfer them to Cakewalk? 2) Is there a better way to make the recording with the equipment I have (or with minimal upgrades, additions, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian