Dean Guitars Avalanche MQ

All user reviews for the Dean Guitars Avalanche MQ

STC-Shaped Guitar from Dean Guitars belonging to the Avalanche series.

( 4/5 based on 2 reviews )
2 reviews
  • MGR/Matthew MMGR/Matthew M

Dean Avalanche

Dean Guitars Avalanche MQPublished on 10/10/03 at 15:00
    Was a gift.

I have the 'transparent red' model of this guitar, where the grain of the wood is visible through the finish, it looks really good, and I've had my guitar over a year now and there are only a few VERY minor dinks in it, the finish is pretty sturdy. The Grover tuners hardly ever go out of tune, unless I bend really heavily or use the whammy bar. The tuners are on both sides of the headstock, which I prefer because it's easier to tune that way.
    Has nice tone too.

The Whammy bar (but only cos I dont use it, it's rather pointless for me). It makes the strings go right out of tune, but just unscrew the lever and you have a normal bridge.
    Hardware not excellent, but of average q…
    Was a gift.

Has nice tone too.

Hardware not excellent, but of average quality, pickup switch a little dodgy sometimes.

Well made, nice finish, nice sound, pleasant to play (frets all put in properly). Some of the screws came loose on the jackplug, but were easily fixed.

A really nice guitar, a few minor quirks, but nothing that would put me off buying another if this one got stolen.
    I'm giving this an overall rating of 3.5, but remember that this is in comparison to all guitars (PRS, Gibson etc incl), not just ones in the same price range (£200-300ish)

• MGR/DustinMGR/Dustin

Dean Avalanche

Dean Guitars Avalanche MQPublished on 12/03/02 at 15:00
    I bought this Guitar from Guitar & Keyboard City, in Phoenix, for $399.99 about 2years ago.

I really like the crisp, crunchy sound out of the humbucker, and the smooth sound that i get from the neck pickup. It is probably one of the best sounding korean-made guitars that i've played.

The only thing i don't like about it, is the factory setup on the unit, the bridge is set way too high, and the factory strings are only .008-.042, so playing it in the store, it doesn't feel that great. my friend had one that was very similar; and with a little TLC, this guitar sounds excellent. the sound out of the middle pickup also sounds a little muddy, so i had to mess around with the tone controls to get it to sound good.

The actual body on the guitar looks very good, it is a transparent blue, and the pictures on the internet don't even come close to doing it justice. the neck/body joint looks really good, and tuners never go out of tune.

Overall, i have been very happy with this guitar, but due to a lack of versatility, it's probably better as a beginner guitar.