Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

Tom Delonge Stratocaster, STC-Shaped Guitar from Fender in the Artist Stratocaster series.

All user reviews for the Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

Average Score:4.4( 4.4/5 based on 49 reviews )
 30 reviews61 %
 12 reviews24 %
Hatsubai10/11/2011

Hatsubai's review"Not that versatile"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
Tom Delonge is one of those awful guitar players that somehow got a deal with Fender because the band took off. Why he got a custom strat, I'll never know. Why he got it with these specs, I'll never know, either. In case you didn't realize it, I'm really not a Blink 182 fan, but this was in my shop, and I decided to see how it was. The guitar features an alder body, a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, 21 frets with dot inlays, hard tail bridge, one Seymour Duncan Invader and one volume knob.

The fretwork on this was average, and it was about on par with what you'd expect to find from Fender around this time. The rosewood was very light in color, and it really needed to be oiled. If you're going to oil fretboards, look into using something like Fret Doctor or the equivalent. Lemon Oil will just dry it out again, and it doesn't really penetrate like Fret Doctor does. The hard tail on this actually makes this guitar not sound like a normal strat. You lose that resonance chamber and that extra reverb. It's something that a few people like, but if you're a standard strat guy, you might not like it. I know Eric Clapton didn't like the hard tail bridges on his prototype models.

The guitar only has one pickup, and it's the Seymour Duncan Invader. This pickup is super high output, and it has tons of bass. The guitar itself didn't really resonate quite that much, and the Invader helped pick up the slack in the output department. You could slam the front end of an amp and start playing death metal with this, and I'm not really sure how Tom was able to play his pop/punk stuff in Blink 182 with this guitar. Like I said, it's very high output, and it's far from my first choice when it comes to his genre of music. The lack of versatility in this guitar is very disappointing, and the one tone it does do, it's not even that great of a tone.

If you're looking for a versatile guitar, I recommend looking elsewhere. The one pickup configuration with one of the worst Duncans ever made makes this guitar one worth avoiding unless you're a big Blink 182 fan. The rest of the guitar is average, and nothing about this makes me want to run out and buy it. You're much better off buying an HSS strat and getting the extra versatility out of it instead of getting one of these.
moosers06/20/2009

moosers's review

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
The Fender Artist Signature Series Tom Delonge Stratocaster is probably one of the worst guitars you can buy.  To me, this guitar is simply a hyped up guitar that is slightly better than a Squier that costs more than it should because of the name attached to it.  This guitar was made in Mexico but is no longer being made and you can now only get them used.  The guitar provides the absolute minimum in terms of tone control as it only has a single pick up and a single volume knob.

While this guitar is playable it by no means has a fluid neck or is a pleasure on the fingers all that much.  The shape is basically the same as a normal Strat while the weight of it is pretty light, probably because there are barely any electronics inside of it.  Getting the sound that this guitar can get isn't hard, but it is the only sound you can get with the guitar and isn't all that good to begin with.

The sound of this guitar is extremely one dimensional because of the minimal control you have over your tone and while the sound you can get is similar to the sound used by Delonge, its the only sound you can really get without other effects.  I really can't see how anyone who isn't a fan of Blink 182 and Tom Delonge could really like the sound of this guitar...

I first used this guitar about six years ago when it first came out and I must admit I haven't used it since because it just isn't my style.  For any purpose whether it be for recording or for live shows, I need to have a guitar that gives me options and control over my sound because if I don't have that, all of my tones will sound very similar!  This guitar to me is also overpriced and should be a few hundred USD less than it is because it really has no features.  Unless you are a die hard fan of Blink 182, I'm sure you know to stay away from this guitar, but in case you didn't know that, it is definitely a good idea!
MGR/Derek Mok01/13/2005

MGR/Derek Mok's review"Fender Tom DeLonge Stratocaster"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I played this guitar in Sam Ash on Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, sometime last year. I think it was selling for $500.

In a word, nothing.

I don't like Blink-182's music to begin with, but that didn't necessarily have to mean the guitar was no good. Unfortunately, I think both Fender and Tom DeLonge had pulled a fast one on Blink-182 and punk fans with this one. In buying this guitar, you will basically be getting a Squier Bullet, a single-humbucker guitar devoid of tonal variety (no trem, no neck pickup, no tone controls)...costing four times as much as it should. The pickup on this is supposed to be customized (Seymour Duncan Invader, I believe), but you can buy this pickup for $80, so how in the world could this guitar cost $500?

The bluesier lead styles and chiming rhythms I usually play were entirely impossible to get out of this guitar, so I tried to play out of character to see how this thing fares as a punk rhythm instrument. It sounded okay, but still doesn't hold a candle to the power of the sound from my GIbson Flying V '67.

I honestly do not feel any difference between the neck and body of this guitar than that of my old Squier Stratocaster. Where exactly is the $500 going?

Perhaps there's a reason why this guitar was discontinued so quickly. Now DeLonge has somehow conned Gibson into giving him a signature model -- based on an ES-335, of all things. I haven't played this model yet, but just for being one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen, you won't catch me within earshot of one. As for this signature Strat, once again I ask -- a hunk of wood, a single humbucker, one volume control. Sounds like you're paying $200 for the workmanship and actual materials, and $300 for the name. Truly one of the biggest ripoffs in signature instruments.

MGR/Nikko08/10/2004

MGR/Nikko's review"Squier Tom Delonge Stratocaster"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I bought this unit because I am a major blink 182 fan and I love the thought of getting guitars for a great price. From what I read the Tom Delonge strat was just like the Fender but cheaper. In other words the only difference was money. it was about $216 with tax and everything at Guitar Center.

What I like about this unit is the simplicity. Only one knob and that is for volume. It is really great if you're looking into a real punk kind of guitar or a a really messy guitar in terms of sound. The Duncan Designed Invaders are really good as well because in my taste they are very messy and go well with distortion.

There are a few that I don't like about this guitar, even if I'm a blink fan. I play other music besides punk like alternative or even blues to plain out clean solos in which this guitar doesn't really meet the requirements. Once out of the punk/distortion level or in other words, "Clean" sound, this guitar is not meant for that. It might have been if there wer tonal knobs added on but that's not likely. Another thing that I don't like is that it is not out anymore. The day I bought this Tom Delonge announced that he had a Gibson...and well in my shoes Gibson is definitely out of your range.

Volume Knob falls off fast...very...plus the plastic gets annoying...take it off. The finish is sensitive too. I have a black one and I see the finish just tear off like mad.

This guitar I would give a four as you can see because I play mostly distorted songs...and rarely have clean channels. Other than that if you play blink or green day, this is your axe.

MGR/Adam Goeldner07/09/2004

MGR/Adam Goeldner's review"Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I really really wanted to buy this strat just becasue its different to any strat i already have! i got it from my local music shop just before it went out of production and i paid $600 for it.

i love the pickup. seymour duncan make amazing pickups and the invader is awesome for punk, rock, and metal! its a really simple straight foward design and you can just plug it in and play so its great for anyone who cant be fucked with pickup changeing. what really annoys me about fender is all there guitars have tremolos! unless its a locking tremolo theres no use in having it! this is a great guitar cause its a hardtail so you dont have to worry about the it going out of tune! also it has these really cool vintage looking tuners which are amazing casuse the guitar always stays in tune!

I love this guitar but becasue i play in a metal band i really need a 24 fret guitar for my solos! unless you just wanna play powerchord punk make sure you have some other guitars to suit your style first! i always play this live though even if its only for one song, i just love the look and feel and sound that pickup is amazing!

constructed so well! like all fenders it is practically invincible! its very solid! fender have always had a reputation for high quility craftsman ship!

this is an amazing guitar that i love to play! when my band goes to gig this is one of the first guitars that gos with me! they dont make these guitars anymore but if you can get your hands on one it wont let you down!

MGR/jake05/29/2004

MGR/jake's review"Fender Tom Delonge Signature"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I bought this gutar from my local Guitar Center. This is not a cheap guitar, it was either this or a car, but because I wanted it so much i bought it anyway. It cost me $2,800.

There is a lot to like about this guitar. The pickup is a Gibson Dirty Fingers, which sounds great. If you are interested in playing any kind of rock it is a great choice. The finish is brown with 3 cream colored stripes down the middle of the body. It looks great! One control(Volume)is simple and to the point.

The price is the biggest obstacle. At almost 3,000, this is a major purchase. The one single humbucking pickup also does not allow for much versatiliy.

If you have ever owned a Gibson you know that these are one of the best guitars that you can buy. Nothing is different with the Delonge. This craftsmanship of this guitar is second to none.

Blink 182 fans with a fat wallet will love this guitar. If you are interested in playing punk, alternative, or just like to rock out, the Gibson Tom Delonge is for you.

MGR/Anonymous04/22/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I bought this guitar because I was looking for a simple guitar that didn't have 3 knobs. I never used the "tone" knobs anyway, so this guitar seemed like the perfect one for me. I am also the only guitarist in my band, so I wanted some pickups that could help deliver crunchy distortion.

I like this guitar because it's simple. No tone knobs or any switches...just volume. It produces a nice tone and produces a sound that suits my needs.

I don't have any dislikes. I know there are much nicer guitars out there, but this guitar still packs serious punch. You can't really go wrong with a Fender.

The guiatar feels nice and solid. I don't really know about durability, but I'm not the type of person that goes around smashing guitars. It's also very light compared to other guitars because it doesn't have all the other electronics installed.

Good Buy.

MGR/Blake Ferguson04/20/2004

MGR/Blake Ferguson's review"Fender Tom Delonge"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I havent bought the product yet, but i am going too.

everything about the guitar is awsome, whoever gave it a one and a bad rating seriouly should cut down on crack, that guy is a fag, the guitar is awesome, the distortion is unbelievably cool, and the model is a radical shape. blink 182 is the best band, and any queer that disrespects Tom should go to hell.

nothing, plain and simple

the pickups are good, and the volume and tone knobs work well.

the tom delonge guitar is awsome, a great choice for guitarists of all skill, levels, and made by the coolest guy in the world. F-u whoever gave it a "one".

MGR/Anonymous04/02/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Fender Tom DeLonge Signature"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
I played this at a local guitar center. I didnt buy it. Just played it. Im not really into blink 182 but i just wanted to see what it was like..its not worth my money anyways.

Nothing. Tom DeLonge or fender must be on crack. It has poor quality. I couldve made better noise with my ass. I couldve farted and played a g chord at the same time and you wouldnt tell a difference. I could go on and on. Tom should be sent to prison because of this. The humbuckers suck ass. I can play better music with a rubberband. IT SUCKS!

I dont like everything! IT SUCKS. CHILDREN: DO NOT GO BUY THIS PEICE OF CRAP. IF YOU WANT A FUTURE IN MUSIC DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!!!!

What quality? The quality sucks. Its not even a guitar..Its like strings strapped to something looping around tuners. I dont know if i could call them strings..silver things!

I love this guitar! Everybody go out there and buy it! Its awesome! HAHA. I need to stop smoking! This guitar sucks. I will say it one more time. DO NOT BUY THIS. GO GET A SCHECTER!!!!!!!!!CHILDREN: DO NOT BUY THIS! They should put a Caution: PEICE OF CRAP sign on the side. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGR/Anonymous01/24/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster"

Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster
i bought this guitar pretty much brand new from a local muscian he charged me only 200 bucks then a axtra 50 for the case

this guitar has been the best i have played so far .. the distortion on it is the best i would have to say, you get a really thick sound .. the clean is also pretty good . has a sound of its own .. also the tuners never slip it can go atleast a few days and not go out of tune

umm you cant use drop tunnings on it thats it

this guitar is rock solid .. the neck is very slick, you can prolly thorw this guitar and it wontgo out of tune or put a dent in it

if you play punk,emo,rock,jazz get this guitar if you play metal dont even pick it up