Create an account

or

Thread The Jan Watkins Band - Home Recordings

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 The Jan Watkins Band - Home Recordings
Hi Everybody,

I play bass in the Cardiff based groovy, rock band named The Jan Watkins Band. We've been together for about a year and have recently completed a number of gigs in the local area (Swansea, Cardiff and Newport). In order to get these gigs we needed to produce a CD to send out and our initial efforts were made using the following gear:

An Akai DPS12
A 2.4Ghz PC with Cubase SX and many plugins
A couple of SM58s
A Samson CO1

Although they are obviously not up to studio quality (we've recently produced a studio demo which highlights the limitations of the home studio!) we're proud of them as representations of what we are all about.

I'd love to get some feedback on them as I recorded, mixed and mastered them and they were my first real attempts at producing a whole band. I'd like to get some hints on recording electric guitars so that they sound as big as they do live - it's hard to capture the volume of air that's being moved around! Also, I struggle to sit the vocals in the mix...

The tracks that were completed in this way (Freedom, All My Heroes Are Dead and Dirty Water) are available to hear at www.thejanwatkinsband.com. There are also video clips showing us playing live and in the rehearsal room.

Finally, if anyone reading this is anywhere near the Riverside Pub in Newport tonight pop in and you'll be able to see us live!

Many thanks for your time and feedback

TBR
Sorry everyone - the MP3s on the site have been updated to the studio versions. Therefore the only remaining home recording is All My Heroes Are Dead. I'd still welcome your comments on this one and, of course, the poll still stands... which song do you like best!
I am reliably informed that the demo versions of the songs as recorded in the home studio are now available again via the site...
It is good for demo. But drums are to quiet and bass has to "round" sound an too much bass sound. Cut the bass below 22Hz!

The song AMHAR is very good to me.

I watch your video and I tell you SHOW MORE LIFE ON STAGE because you all are good musicans. Drumer is good, bassmam too, guitarist too and the singer is great for me.

Quote: It is good for demo. But drums are to quiet and bass has to "round" sound an too much bass sound. Cut the bass below 22Hz!

The song AMHAR is very good to me.

I watch your video and I tell you SHOW MORE LIFE ON STAGE because you all are good musicans. Drumer is good, bassmam too, guitarist too and the singer is great for me.

Wow! Manowar is definitely someone who loves his music!

I am somewhat impressed that he actually took the time to listen to the music available, then chose to express his true feelings... Respect is due