Agrandir
SneakyPete SneakyPete

« Hohner Limited Edition 2007 The Black Prince Guitar »

Published on 02/24/22 at 16:47
Audience: Advanced Users
Well this one was a real surprise. I saw this for sale online, not in my area, so would not be able to play it before purchasing. Tried to do some research on the background of it but was unable to find much information. Its made up of some pretty nice components so I thought I'd take a punt. When it arrived and I opened the hardcase, straight away I could tell it was a quality instrument. It's based on a tele body shape, a Supertele if you like, with a body of alder, an American hard Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard, Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG tremolo, Schaller M6 locking tuners, hand wired Harry Haussel hot humbucker at the bridge position, two Harry Haussel hand wired Blues single coils in the middle and neck positions, 5 way switch, Dunlop Stainless Steel frets, German carve headstock, locking strap pins, mother of pearl dot fingerboard markers and really nicely done hand inlaid alternating ebony and maple binding on the body. There's a very comfortable tummy carve, and a nice recessed design where the neck meets the body allowing easy upper fret access. The body is gloss Black, while the neck has a natural satin finish. The guitar is quite heavy, not overly so in my opinion, and feels very solid and well balanced on a strap and comfortable sitting down as well thanks to the tummy carve.

It's a tele shaped body but it's set up more like a SSH Strat with the very good tremolo system and 5 way switch. Cool in-between sounds and I really love the neck pickup for clean but slightly dirty bluesy stuff. With the humbucker in the bridge it really is a very versatile instrument.

The neck is a beautiful piece of American Hard Rock Maple, I'd call it something like a modernish C-shape and is topped with a Rosewood fingerboard. Again, very comfortable to play all the way.

I've plugged this in to an old ac30 and my word, beautifully quiet powerful cleans and overdriven goodness. The tones from this make it sound like a bunch of different guitars. I've also plugged thru the clean channel of a V22 and played around with some pedals and these pickups did a great job there too. In my small apartment it goes into my THR10 and does the job very well. It's a great playing and sounding guitar!

Images linked to this review

• photo