Peavey Classic 50/212 (Discontinued)
Peavey Classic 50/212 (Discontinued)

Tube Combo Guitar Amp from Peavey belonging to the Classic (Discontinued) series.

Everlone Everlone

« A Classic Versatile Combo »

Publié le 03/21/11 à 17:09
The Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo is powered by 4 EL-84 power tubes that deliver 50 watts of warm tube tone. The amp has two inputs (Normal and Bright), an effects loop, and an external speaker out. The Classic 50 has two channels, clean and overdrive. The EQ and presence controls are shared for both channels, but each channel has its own level control. This amp has a footswitchable spring reverb with one global level knob.

This amp is simple to use and it is easy to get a good tone happening with minimal knob turning. Set the EQ knobs to 12 o’clock and go from there. Like with most other Peavey amplifiers the “pre” knob is pre-amp gain and the “post” knob is the level control. Once these controls are understood, dialing in the amp should be no problem.

The main guitar I use with this amp is a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a ’59 in the neck. I run through a pedal board consisting of a MXR Micro Amp, a Bodenhamer modified Boss SD-1, a Line 6 MM4 and an ISP Decimator noise gate. The overdrive channel on its own sounds full and articulate and has a little more gain than a Marshall JCM800. I either boost this channel with the Micro Amp, the SD-1, or both to achieve more intense levels of gain with outstanding results. With the help of these pedals, the Classic 50 goes from “classic” tones to more modern levels of gain. The shared EQ has not posed a problem in obtaining good clean and overdriven tones. I believe the key to this amp is keeping the master volume set relatively high and controlling each channels volume with their independent controls. This opens the amp up sonically and makes it much more sensitive to playing dynamics. This is a LOUD combo! With the ability to connect an external speaker cab this amp has the potential to knock down walls. The EL-84’s may look small, but they pack a wallop!

My favorite thing about the Classic 50 is its portability. While it is a heavy 2x12 combo, it’s far easier to grab this than a head and a 2x12 cabinet. The tone and reliability of the amp also outweigh any lighter competitors. For the price the Classic 50 is hard to beat. In my mind this was going to be an inexpensive combo to hold me over until I could afford another head and cab after selling my last rig to cover some personal expenses. That was over 4 years ago. I ended up being VERY content with the amp and it has performed well beyond my expectations. Is it EXACTLY what I want/need? No, but it is an excellent amp for the money and deserves far more recognition than it receives.