Ion Audio iPTUSB
Ion Audio iPTUSB
mooseherman mooseherman

« Cheap, small turntable with decent connections, but USB mode is a bust »

Publié le 01/10/11 à 21:33
I checked out this turntable because I saw that it had a USB connection as well as traditional audio connections. Thus I figured I could use it traditionally and also use it to play vinyl and perhaps transfer my collection. It has a 9V power supply that plugs into the wall outlet. It also comes with a needle and it has a volume knob plus bass and treble controls.
I found that using it with the USB was definitely not a great option. It didn't really sound that good on my computer. The studio I work for does vinyl transfers, and after hearing their transfers compared to mine I had to try something else. I don't know what it is that makes this table sound so bad on USB, because when I used the regular audio connections it sounded pretty good. It's not like a vintage table with a nice pre-amp and a solid speaker system, but it does sound pretty great overall going into a regular set of speakers, probably because of the built it power amp. I like it because it's portable and it's easier than buying a whole stereo set with a vintage table, and it's easier to carry around.
I think that in general, it depends how much you're willing to spend and what your end goal is. If you're primarily looking to do vinyl transfers then I would get something else, preferably something that sounds better and can equip a good needle. The best way is to get a preamp and then run than preamp to XLR and send that to a mic line straight into the Pro Tools system, that way you can get a direct signal without the preamp coloring the sound. This isn't the best table to do that with, though, so if you're looking for a cheap record player to just play records, this is fine. Otherwise look elsewhere.