Apogee ONE
Apogee ONE

USB audio interface from Apogee belonging to the One series.

groovybenny groovybenny

« Great sound for a great price! »

Publié le 05/31/11 à 04:40
-Single channel input using one of the following three options:
-Internal condenser microphone
-Balanced XLR microphone preamp input with +10 to 63dB of gain
-Unbalanced ¼" high impedance instrument input, 0 to 45 dB of gain

-Software selectable 48V phantom power
-Line-level, ⅛" stereo output for headphones or unbalanced powered monitors
-A/D and D/A conversion @ 44.1/48kHz, 24-bit
-Multi-function encoder knob for input gain control and output level control
-4 encoder function LED indicators
-3 segment LED input and output metering
-Apogee's Maestro software for advanced control and low latency mixing
-Compatible with any Core Audio compliant audio application

The last update for the One was in September 2009, about nearly 2 years ago. Drivers are rock solid and this is most likely the reason why there has been no software update since then. I’m using Apple’s Mainstage and Logic Pro with this unit, and they work together very well. I’m using an I/O buffer size of 32 samples with mainstage and it works very well, and I’m using a 2011 Macbook pro 13 inch. The One only can record one input at a time, but can switch between an internal mic, and external one or instrument input.

GETTING STARTED

Sound quality is great from the One! This is most likely due to the great converters and preamps compared to other audio interfaces in this price range. Most other interfaces have more I/O but in this case, qualityquantity works in the favor of the Apogee One. I’ve had troubles with the instrument input, which doesn’t allow recording of my guitar at all. I’m currently about to get in contact with Apogee to resolve this.

The thing is about the One I like the most is the quality of the preamps/converters at such a great price range. It is also very portable for its size, which is useful when traveling with a laptop where you don't want a big interface in your bag. Sound is excellent and very high quality. If I had the choice of choosing another interface, I would choose the One again, even although I had the issues which I'm sure will be resolved!