M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

USB audio interface from M-Audio belonging to the Fast Track series.

Grem_777 Grem_777
Publié le 03/18/10 à 07:16
Several Hi-Z inputs, can be powered via USB, two headphones, many outputs, midi, low latency, direct monitoring, compatibility win7 ... in short, everything I needed!
I thought I would never use the built-in effects, but actually it is nice to record a guitar live monitoring or for playing over a video example. As against these effects are really bad quality, although I could not use them on the final render!

I said that I bought from OCCAZ, but in mint condition (3 months of use low intensity).

I downloaded the latest drivers on the site of m-audio win7.
They are stable (except the user 'high performance'), but few seem to be updated ... (See below).

I mainly use reaper and various plugins. I record without pb 2 tracks at the same time and I listen as much as my processor can read.

latency 4 ms 24bits/48kHZ with some VST plugins.

I put 8 for stable drivers but not yet mature on Win7.

GETTING STARTED

I use two ordis: a fixed (Core2Duo 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM) with win7 x64, a netbook (eeepc 1000 Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM) with win7 x86.
In 2 cases, the installation was done in 30 seconds (say 1 minute on the netbbok!) Without a hitch. The card works immediately and the sound is excellent compared to my sound chipset.
Just for the curious that I can even play with the netbook Ninjam reaper via a VST LePou, cab through a simulation of Kefir, and a VST emulation TubeScreamer!

The setup is straightforward: a page of input levels for each pair of outputs. I have not read the manual: /
I'm the type to press the buttons to test. Exactly ...
There is a button 'High Performance' which made me the eye. I support it, the driver tells me I have to restart the map. = Card reboot the computer freeze full, I had never seen it since I switched to win7! Well ... I do a hard reset of my pc that restarts. I start the map re-freeze.

I had to do a system restore to a state prior to installing the driver, then reinstall it to fix the problem! Fortunately I am not too computer neophyte, I did that right away and I took care to create a restore point in case ... m'enfin it's still a bit crappy.

In good tester I do the same manipulation on the netbook, to see ... Rebelote: total freeze. After some research on the m-audio forum, it happens to be the pilot who win7 plant completely if you check this box famous 'High Performance'.

This problem has been reported to m-audio since November 2009 and still no new driver. Super track. : (

Well, apart from this incident, everything works perfectly and without tedious config so it suits me. I put 8.

I bought the MPO-hand two weeks ago. I like the sound, the number of connections, overall stability, the knobs on the front. I appreciate the same effects (pretty rotten but practical) on the monitor. I do not like the driver not finished and not updated, but recognize that it is stable when we know what not to touch.

This is my first external sound card so I have no recoil. I was looking for an interface with multiple inputs Hi-Z, USB2 (netbook does not have firewire, besides the latest macbooks ... it does not bode well for the firewire), more than 2 outputs, noon.
I briefly looked at all the interfaces to less than 250 € and FTU in OCCAZ seemed to be the best choice. For that price (240 fdp in with 2years and 9 months warranty) I think I could not find better.

Having a card creative SB Live that sometimes walked xp (I swore never to buy Creative / E-MU drivers because of their m ****) I know what galleys may cause a sound card. This one works perfectly the first time, without conflict with my onboard sound card to switch between the two is immediate and automatic when I turn on / turn out the FTU. Brief apart from a small concern for 'high performance' which is not a problem since I have only 4 ms of latency in 'normal', it's all good.
I would do this choice!