MOTU MicroBook II
MOTU MicroBook II

USB audio interface from MOTU belonging to the MicroBook series.

Public price: $269 incl. VAT
PhiBee PhiBee

«  Good nomadic card, or even fixed. »

Published on 12/01/14 at 23:56
I was looking for a small card with a minimum of 4 in and 4out, and I end up with 6 out :) - Also looking for a nomadic card. And especially with a DSP to limit or eliminate latency.
I use it on a MacBook Pro i7 in Yosemite and records mostly guitars (acoustic and electric), with an external MultiFX (Digitech TSR24s) insert in the card.
All under 11 and Komplete 8 Protools.

Stable drivers (for the moment) to see over time;)
Tests in rec 4 simultaneous tracks.
For latency, via the sequencer, a very slight lag, but as I use the internal routine of the card - with its DSP and FX - it's just perfect :)
The sound is clear to him, with good dynamics, without distortion or special coloring.

GETTING STARTED

Installation without any problems, there is no simple: install the software, plug the card.
The app home management routine takes some practice, but once you understand, it works very well, and the ability to create routings and save the "4 mix" that manage the different outputs with independent settings is frankly more.

I did that for several days, but accustomed to sound and studio equipment (post-production sound engineer) for quite a few years (sic!), I find it sounds spot in agreement with what I was looking for, at a price quite reasonable. Also tested Focusrite Sapphire PRO14 and 24 (very good in this case) in the same price range, but my choice was on MOTU this time (I had Mbox2 Mini Digidesign and Roland UA-101 before; MOTU surpasses without problems).
In search of a small multi-purpose card, solid and stable, with minimum 4x4, it is also imposed by the experience of the brand.