Soniccouture Glass Works

All user reviews for the Soniccouture Glass Works

• songboysongboy

I always wondered where these sounds came from

Soniccouture Glass WorksPublished on 09/02/11 at 13:14
    Remember "Janie's got a gun" by Aerosmith? The intro sound weirdness always made me wonder "what the heck is that? Well, it was one of these three instruments that Sonic Couture decided to sample and make available to us all. What I like most about this instrument set is you get three different instruments all together. They are the Le Cristal Baschet, The Glass Armonica, and a set of Cloud Chamber Bowls. In all reality, they do sound fairly similar to each other but each has their own distinct sound. I really love the Glass Armonica because it seems to have the best control. That brings me to what I don't like, it can be kind of hard to get a useable sound out of this unit if you are coming to the table with a preconceived idea of what you want. This instrument set is much more suited to the mindset of experimentation. What I like to do is setup a nice hall or chamber reverb very wet with a long release time and just start tweaking away until I get an eerie pad or atmospheric sound that fits the mood or inspires me to write an entirely new piece. I paid $79 for this plugin and for the most part I am very happy with it. The only downfall I find is that I don't really use it that much. It has it's time and place, but it seems pretty few and far between. I have never used or even been around any of these instruments so I can't attest to the quality in comparison to the real thing, but, these samples are extremely harmonically rich and with patience and creativity, yield some of the most interesting pad/atmospherical sounds you have ever heard. I have never come across any other plugins that offer these instruments so no, this is the only one I have ever tried. Despite its limited usability, I really do love these instruments. I am slowly getting into more minimalistic styles of music and can see these coming in handy more often.