Kurzweil K2000 VP
Kurzweil K2000 VP

Workstation from Kurzweil belonging to the K2000 (série) series.

KaeRZed KaeRZed

« It is in the old pots ... »

Published on 03/05/12 at 13:27
... that makes the best soups. And this synth is no exception to the rule!

The K2000 has a 5-octave keyboard (61 keys) with a light touch type &#39;synth&#39;. So if you want more, you should direct them to the big brothers: K2500 (76-key semi-weighted) or K2500X (88 weighted keys type &#39;Piano&#39;).
It is sensitive to velocity and aftertouch (per channel) but not to release velocity or polyphonic aftertouch. on the other hand, in master keyboard, it can transmit simultaneously on three separate MIDI channels ... This is handy on stage!
Originally, it comes with 200 sounds (called programs). It can theoretically contain 999 but in reality it depends on the amount of &#39;program memory&#39; (P-RAM). An extension of this memory was available at the time ... Anyway, even without an extension, the number of memorized sound is made to correct (especially for a machine of the time).
Question edition, this is the famous VAST synthesis so no worries: not only is editable, but it is significantly more than the competitors (and even the time of most current).
The connection is honorable: 3 stereo outputs (Mix + A + B), a MIDI trio, 3 pedal jacks (1 and 2 continues switches) and a SCSI connector for connecting CD-Rom, Zip, hard disks ...
For a machine of the 90&#39;s, it&#39;s really great!

The hierarchy is seemingly simple: there are sounds (programs). Then we can combine (with splits & layers) 3 of these programs in a "Setup". Since that "Setup" that the keyboard can transmit on three different MIDI channels.
That is simple.

on the other hand, as soon as you press the button "Edit", the all powerful VAST synthesis is revealed. And there is a vamp: the basic element is the sample. Several samples spread over the keyboard provide a KeyMap. A KeyMap associated with an algorithm (and associated DSP) gives a Layer. Layers 1 to 32 gives ... a program!
In short: Sample -> KeyMap -> Layer -> Program

You should know that an algorithm is a combination of several blocks, connected between them-permanently. After, according to the algorithm, for each block, we choose a DSP function (oscillator, filter, WaveShaper, parametric EQ, ...). Then, each parameter block. Finally, to move all that, one has complete 3 envelopes, 2 LFOs, 2 ASR, FUN 2, ... Not to mention any physical controller and / or MIDI ... And, of course, everything is modulated by all.
In short: the slap, I tell you!

In addition, the beast also do sample player: comes standard with 2MB of RAM to load samples, we can extend this up to 64 MB RAM! And, subject Samples, the K2000 can read WAV files and sample banks of Kurzweil, Akai, Roland and Ensoniq! Oh my! And with the optional card, the K2000 is also sampler.

The main black spot: the effects section, which itself dates many 90&#39;s. The K2500 has caught the blow with the option KDFX but for the K2000, one must be content with a Digitech chipset which, frankly, does not break the house down ...

Sounds fully agree with my style of music ... and that!
Well, purely acoustic sounds were obviously a bit dated compared to the current competition, but as this is a true synth (not a ROMpler decorated with a wave filter to say that ...) The K2000 expects only one thing: you press the button &#39;Edit&#39; to your sounds to you!
And there, whatever your music, you can concoct THE sound you need.
I particularly like what I call the sound "hybrid" synthetic textures obtained by deflecting acoustic samples.
KeyMap a folk guitar sent in a "HiFreq Stimulator", a small Sawtooth filtered it, a discreet envelope on the pitch as a function of velocity, a hint of vibrato with aftertouch ... A hint of chorus / reverb for fun and hop it off!
And, for the sounds &#39;analogue&#39;, agreeing with the algorithms of DSP based oscillators (modeling early, what), you can earn close to 9 oscilloscope on 3 layers! Not bad for a machine that has 20 years of age, right?

I bought it in 1998 (a Blue K2000 VP) from the start by putting 16 MB RAM for samples. Use the VAST synthesis of the samples &#39;personal&#39; is a joy.
This synthesis is not the easiest to master, but: what power under the hood (besides, I do not control it ... I know enough to make me use my sounds, and it suits me very well !)!
I have a few machines in my setup, both analog and digital, and the finished tracks without using the K2000 can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
Whether with the Wavestation, the 01R / W, JV880, the SuperNova or even Juno, use the K2000 in Layer is a real pleasure. He brings that little something extra that makes the difference.
Not only choice I would do it with eyes closed but I think despite his age, it remains (with its big brother K2500/K2600) a must have.