Gibson 70th Anniversary John Lennon J-160E in 3 Versions
At the request of Yoko Ono, Gibson Guitar offers three 70th Anniversary John Lennon J-160E acoustic guitars.
Accordingly, only a very limited number of these handmade acoustics will ever be available.
For his first American acoustic/electric guitar, Lennon had his sights set on a new Gibson J-160E – the problem was, he didn't have the money to buy it. With the aid of a co-signed purchase from Beatles manager Brian Epstein (who also co-signed for bandmate George Harrison's J-160E), Lennon made the guitar his own, and put it straight to the business of making rock and roll history. Recreated by the luthiers at Gibson's Montana acoustic guitar facility, the 70th Anniversary John Lennon models are available in three versions to represent the instrument at three periods in Lennon's life and career. The first, finished in Vintage Sunburst and limited to 500 guitars, represents the guitar as it was when Lennon first acquired it and used it on several Beatles recordings from 1963 to '64, including Please Please Me, With The Beatles and A Hard Day's Night.
The second is a Custom Shop "Imagine" model in a Soft White finish personally requested by Yoko Ono to reflect the sentiment of John's life and music during the recording of Imagine. And the third is the model as it is today, on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, with a thin, natural finish and Lennon's famous "John and Yoko" caricature sketches, representing the appearance of the guitar during the Lennon-Ono "Bed-In" peace protests of 1969.
The custom shop's second and third renditions are limited to 70 guitars each, one for every year since John's birth in 1940, and both include a special 70th Anniversary Certificate signed by Yoko Ono and sent to the final purchaser by Certified Mail. As for construction, each version is a rendition of the J-160E of 1962, a guitar originally released in 1954 as "electro-acoustic" guitars, with built-in pickup and electronics.
- 1960's Laminated Sitka Spruce Top
- Historic Gibson Ladder Bracing Pattern
- Gibson Authentic P-90 Pickup
- 70th Anniversary John Lennon Mother of Pearl Signature on headstock of the 70th J-160E VS and the 70th Museum
- 70th Anniversary John Lennon Signature in Abalone on the 70th Imagine
- 70th Anniversary John Lennon Mother of Pearl Engraved Birth Date on 12th Fret on all three models
For more details, visit www2.gibson.com/Gibson.aspx.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Keeley Overdrive Pedal The Keeley Overdrive combines modern OP-Amp clipping with tube-like JFET gain stages; Sandwiched in-between the two styles of overdrive is a modified Baxandall tone control.
- Audible Disease Super Switcher SS-1 The Audible Disease Super Switcher SS-1 is a four independent channel switching device.
- Left-Handed LMG-T Paisley The guitar has a left handed Bigsby B5 tremolo system, with a few our special tweaks to the B5 and the Gotoh Roller Bridge.