ADAM Audio A7X
ADAM Audio A7X

Active Monitor from ADAM Audio belonging to the AX series.

SeanT SeanT

« That's the Adam sound! »

Publié le 12/19/10 à 04:14
The key technical characteristic that motivated my choice was obviously the reputation of Adam's ribbon tweeter. X-art does wonders. I also like the EQ settings, well focused and useful depending on the room.

I use the Adam A7X exclusively for studio monitoring. Composition and mixing. I'm currently more or less pleased with its performance.

The frequency curve is more or less neutral. At this price point, it's very decent. However, it is necessary in my opinion to add a subwoofer, especially for electronic music. You also have to have good acoustic conditions!

The pros: The higher end of the spectrum is transparent, beautifully reproduced.
The frequencies that take a step back on my headphones (between 3 and 8 kHz) are reproduced with surgical precision on my Adam A7X monitors. A plus for a good mix.

The downside (I think the materials used for the woofer are to blame, but also the high number of channels) is lower midrange definition. It is difficult to hear the smaller details (saturation, distortion, grain) of a bass. I am forced to go and use a headset to be sure of the result. However when you're used to this flaw, this is no big deal. And in this price range, I think no speaker can do better. The definition of lows is excellent and very precise.

The stereo image is breathtaking. On my first listen, I really thought that the sounds would pierce the walls. Compared to the BX8a, there is not a second of doubt, the result is startling.

The dynamics seems respected. Much more than on other speakers.

After 1 &frac12; month of use, I am greatly satisfied with these speakers. This is Adam quality!
Previously I did a lot of mixing on Krk RP6 and RP8. It's not there at all, it lacks that little character with the lows and the detail for highs and stereo. I've also tested Yamaha (HS80M) models. The sound does not please me at all, too "garish'' compared to this one, and it is hugely lacking in the lows.

The feature I like the least: The lower midrange. But in my opinion, whether it's Dynaudio, Genelec (which I tried in a store), it's the same issue. The details of the lower midrange are not up to my expectations. But the sound is still striking. What a pleasure to listen to things such as Board Of Canada or Hans Zimmer. The brass for example are reflected beautifully!

The quality/price ratio is excellent! In retrospect, I would choose this again, but only for nearfield listening.
In the future I would rather go for 3-way models (S3X).