Create an account

or

Thread hard disc recording

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 hard disc recording
Hi folks,
have just purchased 2 x m audio delta 1010lts for (hopefully) simultaneous hard disc recording on 16 channels. Also bought a turbo (7200rpm) 120GB hard disc for the dedicated recording machine(Athlon 1.6GHz, 512 MB ram). The OS is XP pro currently sitting on a 5400 rpm 40 GB hard disc running cubase vst 5, (but will be looking at other hd recording software). What is the best way to configure the HDs - for example do I use the 120 GB drive for everything, or use the 40GB(primary ide) drive for OS and cubase(or other hd recording software) and record / save 16 channel audio to 120 GB turbo HD(eg secondary ide or slave on primary ide).
Would be most grateful for any info and explanation of how to configure and why.
cheers
Kirstag.
Hi!

The most important thing is to define where you will put your temporary files for recording. The most optimised configuration is to put your OS one the first disc (I suggest the 40Go), and you place all the directory for recording on the second disc.
There are two reasons for that: the first is to avoid having many access to the same disc at the same time, the second is that you can easily de-fragment your disc to keep good performances.
I also suggset that you define a big size for the clusters on the disk you will record. It will increase the global performances....