or
Create an account

or

Thread Omega Recording Studio by Lexicon

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Omega Recording Studio by Lexicon
Hey. I just purchased the Lexicon Omega Recording Studio.
Its totally awesome. Has lots of ins and outs, I can connect
my guitars, 2 mic's, my 4 track recorder, and my otehr audio
devices. My only problem is I have been on a day by day
E-mail tag with the Lexicon rep with a problem I am having.
(1) I currently have a MIDI studio setup. This is the general setup..
Roland MIDI controller to the Yamaha Qy10 sequencer then out to the tone box, then the casio keyboard then finally out to the brother diskdrive.
The out from the diskdrive is going to the omega studio.
For some weird reason I can't get any sound at all. If I disconnect the omega studio and take the out from the diskdrive to the in on the MIDI/joystick Adapter which is connected to the PC I get sound. Hmmmm
BTW the omega connects to the PC via USB.
oh yea the omega! ive been debating on picking up one, comes with great software too... lexicon is just golden in my opinion.

which input on the omega are you plugging the output of the diskdrive into? midi in? or one of the lines in?

im sure if you use midi in, there would be an option in the recording software that came with the omega that you have to set 'on' to accept midi in before you can use it...maybe by accident you have this option clicked 'off'?

this is just a guess :cry:

hope you get it figured
Well,
Lemme tell ya from my point of view. I like the Omega Interface. It has ports gallore. That I generally like. The ProTracks Plus I can do without.
When I select the "Add Audio Track" I have to select Lexicon USB in 1&2 and Lexicon USB OUT 3&4 Press "R" and I get either an echo in the headset or a distorted sound. I personally use Sound Forge. But all of my compositions are in MIDI. I would have to "Convert" my MIDI to *.wav then use it in Cool Edit Pro to mix my stuff. Last night I was hit with yet another problem. I tried to use the Audio out from my Qy10 Sequencer to the Line in 1 on the omega. set the dials to hear crisp clear sound. Pressed "R" and it recorded fine, playback was distorted. Can't figure that 1 out. Removed the connection from the Omega Line in 1 to the Mic/line in on my recorder, recorded just fine..Weird huh. I can't explain it. I've been trying to get my Roland to work with the sequencer with Protracks Plus. Thats nearly impossible. The Sequencer has its own sound bank and so does the ProTracks Plus. They clash. The only way for my to get things to work is: Very time consuming. (1) Connect the roland to the Sequencer. Take the audio out to the Mic/Line in on the recorder, plug in the headphones. Hit record track 1 on the sequencer. Record all tracks of a song. Now, use Track 1 on the recorder and record all tracks directly from the sequencer. So in otherwards Track 1 on the recorder will house the song from the sequencer. Now go to Protracks Plus to add other things to it. Have to blend everything together somehow by recording the Protracks Plus music to track 2 on the recorder. At least in Protracks Plus I can record Audio tracks, which is great for Vocals and guitars. I can plug in the Samson mics and plug in the guitar into the instrument port on the Omega. That is awesome. Wish there was some way of saving the project and still keeping the audio track intact with the midi tracks.
grrrr im clueless...what has lexicon said about this???

of all people they should help you best, they made the damn thing ;)

but it seems they arent helping you... haveyou tried asking the place you purchased it? alot of the time people who work in audio shops will know more about the product than the company that made it...
Lexicon says this:
"Nice diagram, you will need to have the audio outputs from the Casio hooked up to speakers. Also make sure you are running the midi out from the Omega to the Midi in on the Casio. Under Pro-Tracks, go to options and midi devices. Try selecting just the Lexicon USB devices for both midi in and midi out. Click move selected devices to the top. You should be getting midi out at this point. If you have more than one sound module, you may want to simplify your midi wiring until we get this figured out. Run the midi out directly to the keyboard that is your sound source. To test this out, open up Protracks and load Tutorial 1. This transmits on channel 1, 2. If you are still not getting anything on the keyboard see if there is a midi indicator light. If the keyboard is receiving midi but not playing any notes it may be on the wrong midi channel. Also try the midi inputs on the Omega with you controller going directly into the Omega midi input. You should be seeing midi activity lighting up on the little keyboard in the windows tray. If not check you midi cable, and make sure you are running to the midi in on the Omega from the out on the midi controller. Once you are getting the activity in and out of the Omega it should be just a matter of making sure everything is on the correct channels to get sound. I hope this helps."

Most MIDI equipment does not have sound on its own. If you have a MIDI controller with no sounds on-board, you will need to provide some sort of synth type engine or other sound source. If you have a sound source or synth engine, you can connect the MIDI to the Omega and then the Audio to the Omega as well. If the sound source is a software synth, you will need to assign both a MIDI track and an Audio track within the software. If this is unclear and you need further explanation, you may wish to give us a call.

It should work the same either way. You would need to have the Omega setup as the default midi device. If you are getting midi out of the joystick port you will need to switch the default midi output under Pro Tracks. Click on the Lexicon USB midi device and select move device to top. This should make the outputs of each project default to the Omega instead of the MPU-401 on the sound card.

It should work either way. That's why I was asking if you are able to get any midi signal in or out from the Omega when it is set as the Pro Tracks midi input and output (under options and midi devices). If you are not getting any midi in or out from the Omega there could be an issue with the Omega drivers or you may even have a defective Omega. I just want to get that part straight. If you want you can give me a call 801-568-7567 and we can test it or you can test it yourself. Let me know.

Here is a way you can test it.

1. Go into Pro Tracks and options and midi devices.
Select just the Lexicon USB for midi input and midi output (so
nothing else is highlighted). Click move selected devices to the
top.
2. Next plug your midi controller midi output to the midi input on
the Omega.

3. Open tutorial 1. (C:program filesProTracks
plus utorials utorial1)
4. You will see a small midi keyboard down next to the windows
clock. Play some notes. You should be seeing the little red lights light up on the little keyboard next to the clock.
5. Test the midi out by hooking the midi out of the Omega directly
to your tone generator midi input. Play tutorial 1 and see if you get anything. If you are still not getting anything on the output close ProTracks, and open the windows control panel. Open up Sounds and Audio devices. Click on the Audio tab, and select Lexicon USB as the default midi device. Click ok. Open media player and try playing a Gm midi file.

6. If none of these steps get you anywhere than reinstall the driver from the Omega CD. If that fails and you are running Windows 2000/ or Windows XP You most likely have a defective Omega.
better advice than i can give, try it out, and then call them if it wont work
hi there,
i'm an Electrical Engineer student , it's my last year, and i'm working on my graduation design project , it's about "Noise cancellation system using Tube Traps" ..
Already existing tube traps are designed to eliminate noise in sound systems cenima's and for clearing steroe sound (by forbidding soundwaves reflections ) ..

I want to design these tubes to cancel air conditionner noise, the problem is that the nature of ac sound waves is alot different thn tht of steroes and surrond systems :) ..

To study the nature of AC Soundwaves (Frequency, standing wave look .....etc) i want to use Omega Recording Studio which i've just started learning how to use it ..
I would appreciate ur experience in using this before ..and ask can i use Omega and Pro Tracks to actually capture ac noise and study its nature ?
thanks alot ..
please reply :)