Korg D16
MGR/Mark MGR/Mark

« Korg D16 »

Published on 01/19/04 at 15:00
I purchased this unit used for $1200 (Canadian) in December of 2000. You can find one now for substantially less of course.

This is a very easy recorder to use, although I was already used to the Korg format, as I previously owned a D8. The Touch View Screen is awesome, and the effects are decent. I also like the fact that I can throw it into a laptop bag and take it to do remote recording as well.

My dislikes are not major ones. No phantom power, but I have outboard preamps for condensor mics. Only being able to record 8 tracks with 24 bit mode is a drag, but this is a demo machine. If I want to do serious tracking, I'll use my pc recording setup, or go into another studio.

The constuction is decent, but not as solid as my d8 was - however, the d16 is lighter.

I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a compact portable multi track. Just keep in mind that you'll need to get yourself an outboard cd burner, as well as some kind of mic pre if you plan to use condensor mics. Other than that, you can find this model used for great prices.