The DP-990 SB is the successor to the Roland DP-970. While EXTERNALLY little did differ, the DP-990 is much higher:
- Polyphony 128 voices
- 88 keys to sensitive PH3. touch varies according to the note (heavier in the bass in the treble: a treat)
- 3 chrome pedals (piano, sostenuto, high) that look robust.
- 2x12W speakers underneath the keyboard, saves space, sense of depth of sound and look the other way, they send ...
- A number of his énooorme (300 memory). The piano sound is excellent the best I find in this price range, the bass is warm, round and deep, the mids excellent, I will note just a little flat in the treble, which I personally find a little "weaklings". I compensates a little more emphasis on the keys. The Rhodes sound is just great: a pair of dark glasses and we take almost for Ray Charles!
- Ability to lock the function keys (very useful when playing in the background of a button and your fingers tend to touch the buttons, and you find yourself suddenly with an organ sound and then the metronome).
Well, I will not mention all the stupid internal features (there are a lot) if you want, go to the website of Roland [www.roland.fr]
I will therefore 8 / 10 for features
I have not had the opportunity to test the midi channels, but the general configuration is simple, we can immediately have fun, and the manual is very complete if we want to push some fine adjustments .
9 / 10 for use
All sounds are excellent, apart from the voice (Crisp, but perfect for fans of horror movies!).
I do my lines proposed battery with sounds: no complaints, we believe it!
The organ sounds are a little disappointing (but it's a matter of taste, I'm not a fan of church organ or Charlie Oleg).
Reverb effects and gloss are very good, but I find that the 3D does not have much and tend to distort the sound. But there also is a matter of taste and acoustics of the room where the piano is installed. Mine is small and the piano installed in a raised bed: the 3D function is not credible ...
I use this piano for three months now, purchased in February 2008 in the center Chopin (Paris 20th) and delivered in late March: the delivery time is relatively long but the piano, because of its quality / price ratio excellent (€ 1,595) and its flawless finish is by far (my opinion) the best in its class. I find it even higher than the Roland HP-203, yet more expensive but with the look of a cabinet Norman.
Of all those I tried (almost all of the store!), It was the best.
I do it again so this choice without any hesitation!