Create an account

Audience: Anyone Value For Money : Excellent
  • timeofsilencetimeofsilence

The D-50 was my all time favorite keyboard, the D-05 reminds me why

Roland D-05Published on 11/25/17 at 11:36
    I've never thought much about the boutique series, especially since they're only 4 voice, although I'd consider one of the Juno models. Anyway, when I saw the re-issue of the D-50 I was very excited. I was stuck using samples in a NI player app. My D-05 arrived while I was away on an event. So I had to run to walmart to find a mini USB adapter to connect it to my computer. I didn't care for the 1/8" output and I get a ground loop hum when I connect the analog output to my mixer. The sounds are amazing. There are several banks of the original patches and some that I had never heard before. It would be nice to have a programing app to really dive into creating new patches. For anyone that liked the D-50, D-550 back from the day, this is well worth the investment.
  • MaxidingueMaxidingue

Probably the best in the series

Roland D-05Published on 11/24/17 at 12:14
    Hi,

I’m not a big fan of Roland’s Boutique series. I’ve owned the Juno, the Jupiter and the TR-09, and I’ve long hesitated before getting this D-05 in loving memory of my good ol’ D-550 ;-)

Well, I ‘ain’t been disappointed!

It’s really lovely, smaller than the other models in the series I think – at least it’s not as wide. The original model’s color scheme is partly reproduced, as with the rest of the series. Accessing banks, presets and sequences is as easy as can be!
    I’ve read here and there there were output gain problems, so I took the step to plug my MindPrint preamp behind it, just in case…

Hi,

Well, I ‘ain’t been disappointed!

I still consider this new fashion of putting a minijack out irritating, but I must admit the size of the device would hardly have made a full-sized XLR a legit option ;-)
    The power supply, MIDI and audio all go through a mini-USB connector (mini-connectors for a mini-synth: quite logical somehow): just install a driver and here you go!

Strangely, there’s only one knob on the back side for volume setting. All tweakings are done using the buttons and switches as well as + and -, just like on the original.

Driver : OK, USB : OK, audio signal : OK… Here we go!

It sounds great from the very start – a little cleaner compared with the original if I remember correctly, but it delivers the same warmth.
    The effects are not exaggerated.
    I’m getting my old feelings back!

The small joystick seems quite fragile, but it does the job.
    The 2 ribbons sound interesting and are respectively used for pitch bend and modulation, plus a nice ladder filter.

But let’s concentrate on the sound: well, this is where this nice little guy really shines! The sound structure is the exact same compared with the original, except it was modelled by Roland. Put them side by side in a blind test, and I dare you to recognize which is which.

Regarding the editing process… Well, that’s less brilliant. Linear synthesis is approximately to Roland what FM synthesis was to Yamaha – that’s very harsh. Plus, you certainly wouldn’t consider getting into upper-level synthesis with a 2-line screen and four control buttons, so I looked for an editor and, well… that was not easy.
    For Windows, you’ll find what you need.
    For iOS, you’ll find what you need – provided you pay for it
    As for Mac OS X… well, not so much to be found.

But don’t be afraid, you’ll still find an EXCELLENT software http://ctrlr.org/roland-d50-editor/ which is free, very efficient and comprehensive.

So, now we can finally tweak it as we like. My advice is (as usual) to start from a preset you like and manipulate the dozens of sliders: you’ll soon understand which has which effect. Well, that’s not the most usual way into the world of linear synthesis, but that’s quite efficient.

But for the lazy ones – and I shall know, I’m one – who are after the sounds from their youth, this tiny synth can get those of its predecessors, and god knows you’ll find many all over the internet.

So… It’s a beautiful life, ain’t it?

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)
Advertising (Google Ads)
Marketing (Meta Pixel)

On our websites, we use the Meta Pixel. The Meta Pixel is a remarketing pixel implemented on our websites that allows us to target you directly via the Meta Network by serving ads to visitors of our websites when they visit the social networks Facebook and Instagram. The meta pixel are code snippets which are able to identify your browser type via the browser ID - the individual fingerprint of your browser - and to recognise that you have visited our websites and what exactly you have looked at on our websites. When you visit our websites, the pixel establishes a direct connection to Meta's servers. Meta is able to identify you by your browser ID, as this is linked to other data about you stored by Meta on your Facebook or Instagram user account. Meta then delivers individualised ads from us on Facebook or on Instagram that are tailored to your needs.

We ourselves are not in a position to identify you personally via the meta pixel, as apart from your browser ID no other data is stored with us via the pixel.

For more information about the Meta Pixel, the details of data processing via this service and Meta's privacy policy, please visit Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Facebook and Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Instagram.

Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. is a subsidiary of Meta Platforms, Inc. based in the USA. It cannot be ruled out that your data collected by Facebook will also be transmitted to the USA.

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)

Advertising (Google Ads)