Roland D-20
Roland D-20

Digital Synth from Roland .

troust troust

«  For the time, a fairly complete synth »

Published on 05/06/13 at 09:43
Keyboard 61 keys with "a small velocity", 16 multitimbral parts.
2 Audio outputs L and R: 6.35
Midi In, Thru, out
Sustain pedal input, Stop / start sequencer: 6.35
32 voice polyphony
Type workstation that, for 1988, looks great with a full 8-track sequencer + 1 rhythm.
Backup songs, sounds etc.. by 720KB floppy disk.
Everything is explained on other opinions.

editing sound, in my opinion, is not very easy, because a small backlit screen 2X16 characters. setting seems complexe.
This kind of machine deserved at the time, to have an editor via computer.
LA synthesis is not so easy. I confess that I have not dwelt on the manual.

I rarely sought new sounds, the range is fairly complete.
I little or no rhythm part uses its having on hand, other ways to create patterns.

At its commissioning, the first thing I did was listen to the demos: very successful, is it possible to recreate it yourself with the same D-20?.
All sounds including some fairly well known and all styles are fashionable late 80s. There is something for everyone.
I use D-20 performance rather than patch (more sound relief).
I appreciate the style sheets Warm pad, string, some organs.
To avoid acoustic pianos, acoustic and electric guitars.
the sounds of electric pianos are nice, pretty realistic.
I also remember some ethnic or exotic type sounds.

So I have since July 88, purchased by mail, attracted by its attractive price.
I did not have at the time the opportunity to try other models, the majority of my choice after the test benches were published in trade magazine (Keyboards mag, mag keyboard etc.).
Repeat this choice given the evolution of gear I do not think so.
But I keep this synth whose condition is impeccable.
Currently, he manages, in addition to its range of sounds, other expanders for even richer sound.

This synth has never left my house ..... except for playing organ part in a church for the wedding of my niece!