Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4

MIDI Control Surface for DJ from Native Instruments belonging to the Traktor series.

Public price: $999 incl. VAT
NuclearDNA NuclearDNA

«  Perfect for Traktor, but ... »

Published on 03/19/14 at 10:13
• How long have you use it?
I use this controller for almost a year.

• Have you tried many other models before buying it?
This is my second, the first controller I had was the Numark Mixtrack Pro.

• What is the particular feature you like best and least?

The +:

- Knobs to manage loops: a treat! Truly exceptional for controlling Traktor!
- Intuitive: it perfectly follows the logic of Traktor
- Plug & Play
- Light / transportable wish
- The pushs jogs (I've remapped to control FX)
- Small screens displaying the size of the loop, very convenient
- Easy custom mapping with Traktor S4, I exchanged knobs notched gains by selecting FXs, very convenient.
- We regale with this controller! Its use is really addictive

The -:

- No eQ kill!
- Tempo pitch too small compared to the DDJ-SX for example, not easy to calibrate with that ...
- Plastic: seem perfectly solid over time ...
- Crossfader / faders seem a little fragile. A friend replaced his cross in not even 3 months ...
- The output in dB is rather low compared to CD players (mean difference in club), but I could not compare it with other controllers. I guess the Pioneer with 105 dB supplants. I never found the output characteristic dB S4 ear but it must be seen in the 85-90dB max ...

• How would you rate the quality / price?

- A little too expensive considering the longevity / dubious quality ...

- After almost a year of intensive use, despite having taken care of extremely stupid (I have small hands and I press the buttons really slowly, no need to go as a nag), I all déconnent buttons: Shift, Sync, Cue, Play, FX on / off, cue previews, Load, Cue buttons and buttons Samples: sometimes when I press nothing happens, so that I missed some breaks! Must be pressed several times sometimes before it deigns to walk (I had no problem at first, but I think it is a scandal after less than a year of use for the price!) It's frustrating and it proves that the plastic is not robust / durable in time, I am disappointed because of that, I'll have to buy another more robust type controller DDJ-SX.

• With experience, you do again this choice?

- I have learned through this excellent Traktor controller, it is perfect for it, however I do not think it's made to last over the years. It's really great to start Traktor and improve his techniques, it is THE controller that comes with the software, however I expect Native Instruments improves the quality of its machines because the cheap plastic side is a remarkable error.

- I think the switch to DDJ-SX, which has me much more solid air with more metal than plastic doubtful. Looking primarily a controller so I can keep over the years, tired of changing setup every year.

- I am surprised that nobody else has done back when the strength of this machine on the length, it is for this particular detail that I decided to write my return. Someone there had the same problem as me? My friend who has changed the cross fader has the same problem, and was purchased at almost the same period.