Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo/Laptop
Universal Audio UAD-2 Solo/Laptop

DSP Board from Universal Audio belonging to the UAD-2 series.

loudfunk loudfunk

« Won't leave home without it... »

Publié le 03/23/11 à 12:58
After having used 2 UAD1 and a UAD2 duo in my desktop for a long time as my go to plug-ins, I added a UAD 2 solo/laptop for when I'm on the road, or simply just want to work on the proverbial couch.
Using it on Mac Book pro 2.8 intel processor with 4 gb of RAM.

I use it for tracking guitars and of course for channel strips, busses, sends and the master on mixes.

The drivers have always been top notch, the plug-ins are constantly expanded. Most of the time I use them with either Logic 9 or Pro Tools 9. Track count/instances of plug-ins varies dramatically depending on which plug-ins you run.
Some are serious resource hogs such as the Manley Massive Passive as a mastering compressor on the master buss. That said it's worth to just bounce out with the other plugs and then render the final file with it anyways.

GETTING STARTED

Install is a breeze...run software installer, plug in the hardware, authorize, done.
At times when you're running OSX you might have an issue when the system has been to cluttered and needs a general clean-up where you'll have to repair permissions. What's great on the UAD stuff you can get around this by just rescanning Audio Unit plug-ins via Garage Band. A great time saver in a pinch.

As a side note I had problems with this card installing under Windows 7 in dual boot on my MAC Book pro, however on my Dell laptop no problem.

The best part is the sound quality of the plug-ins, and the portability of the set-up.
Some plugs like the Neve stuff although sounding like the you ran the signal through the hardware box do not emulate the break-up characteristic. The again the work around for that is running the Studer plug-in if saturation is your thing.

The stand-outs for me are the delays...Echoplex, Space Echo, Time Cube, the EMT Plates, of course the compressor like the dBx 160, LA2A and LA3A, 1176, for eq the Manley massive Passive, the 4 different Neve, the SSL stuff, the Harrison, and of course the Triton. Another lovely plug is the Studer for tape saturation.

The Emperical labs Fatsoo is great to add girth, the IBP phase alignment plug is great when messing up with multi-miced tracks and you need to get stuff better in phase..