Become a member
Become a member

or
Continue with Google

or

Thread Kid with an ambition, but in desperate need of help....

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
xDJx

xDJx

5 posts
New AFfiliate
First post
1 Posted on 10/24/2004 at 15:50:18
Hey all, my name is Drew... and I'm going on 15 years old and I've been really interested in sound, being that my dad is somewhat of a novice at the whole thing. I am in a band and I just recently went to a studio for the first time and realized what I really wanted to do.... I have a decent equipment set up, but I still am without the knowledge of how to hook it all up to my computer. Heres some of my equipment:

Behringer UB1202 mixer (soon to upgrade)
Shure Beta 57a
Shure Beta 58
Audix OM-2
5 or so cheap CADS
1 Audiotechnica Kick Drum Mic (the cheap one but surprisingly good)

I have a Sony Vaio but no recording software. What are some good recording softwares at decnt prices? Also, what do I need to hook everything up to my computer.
Help is grately appreciated!
-Drew
gawain_en

gawain_en

181 posts
AFfinity Poster
2 Posted on 10/24/2004 at 23:35:58
Instead of upgrading your mixer which is not that bad I would invest in a multi-input soundcard.

As far as softwares are concerneed, you could start recording with a freeware (ex: Kristal audio engine) before purchasing whatever you like best (Cunase, Sonar...)
manowar

manowar

161 posts
AFfinity Poster
3 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 02:06:57
Yes first you should buy good multiinput sound card. I suggest you cooledit pro 2 recording program. It is very simple to learn and it is good for start.
xDJx

xDJx

5 posts
New AFfiliate
4 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 15:08:23
thanks!
RickWP27

RickWP27

2 posts
New AFfiliate
5 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 17:30:40
Agreed - cool edit pro is great - you can get very good quality recordings with it.... For the technical stuff here's a website I found extremely helpful myself:
https://www.shure.com/booklets/techpubs.html
----- gives step by steps for setting up your studio, everything from The Basics of Equalization and Feedback - How to effectively approach equaliztion and avoid feedback - to - Microphone Techniques for Music - Studio Recording.
It's a lot of reading - but you'll learn a lot.
Hope that helps some.
xDJx

xDJx

5 posts
New AFfiliate
6 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 18:16:19
Thanks everyone,
I just downloaded a demo version of Cubase SX and wow... It's cool but confusing. I don't know how to make siunce of what I'm about to say. What do I need to plug my mixer into my computer so that each channal on my mixer can come up as a seperate channal on Cubase. (When I used this crappy plug in "a 1/4 inch jack from the input to an adapter which plugs into the "Line in" on my computer.) Then in Cubase it asks you if you want Input 1. I select Input 1 and then, even though i may have four inputs into my mixer, it will only show it as one. I am obviously new to this... If you understand the slightest bit of what I say please feel free to help me out.

Thanks,
Drew
gawain_en

gawain_en

181 posts
AFfinity Poster
7 Posted on 10/25/2004 at 22:06:59
What you need is to have as many inputs on the soundcard as the number of tracks you want to record. This is why I suggested the purchase of a new multi-input soundcard. Then you'll have to connect each track of your mixer to the soundcard (thanks to direct-outs or inserts if you do not have direct-outs).
In cubase you'll open several tracks at once chosing a different input for each tack...hope this is clear enough.
manowar

manowar

161 posts
AFfinity Poster
8 Posted on 10/26/2004 at 10:46:04
I suggest you PCAudiolabs.Cubase.SX.Manual.and.Tutoria if you can get is somewhere. It is very good video manual for cubase.
xDJx

xDJx

5 posts
New AFfiliate
9 Posted on 10/27/2004 at 14:19:43
thanks
cookies
We are using cookies!

Yes, Audiofanzine is using cookies. Since the last thing that we want is disturbing your diet with too much fat or too much sugar, you'll be glad to learn that we made them ourselves with fresh, organic and fair ingredients, and with a perfect nutritional balance. What this means is that the data we store in them is used to enhance your use of our website as well as improve your user experience on our pages (learn more). To configure your cookie preferences, click here.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent
These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine and allow its optimization. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Example: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).
Google Analytics
We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it.
Advertising
This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

We did not wait for a law to make us respect our members and visitors' privacy. The cookies that we use are only meant to improve your experience on our website.

Our cookies
Cookies not subject to consent

These are cookies that guarantee the proper functioning of Audiofanzine. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. Examples: cookies that help you stay logged in from page to page or that help customizing your usage of the website (dark mode or filters).

Google Analytics

We are using Google Analytics in order to better understand the use that our visitors make of our website in an attempt to improve it. When this parameter is activated, no personal information is sent to Google and the IP addresses are anonymized.

Advertising

This information allows us to show you personalized advertisements thanks to which Audiofanzine is financed. By unchecking this box you will still have advertisements but they may be less interesting :) We are using Google Ad Manager to display part of our ads, or tools integrated to our own CMS for the rest.

You can find more details on data protection in our privacy policy.
You can also find information about how Google uses personal data by following this link.