or
Create an account

or

Thread Need to improve old out of date setup.

• 5 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need to improve old out of date setup.
Hi everyone,

At present I am using a Roland JX-3P with a PG200 Programmer midi interfaced to my P4-2.40 GHz 512k 800MHz FSB HT computer using the Sound Blaster Live sound card. The software I use is Midisoft Studio 4.0 and the OS is Windows XP Home edition.
I know I need to update my software but I have been using Midisoft ever since it came out( you play, it writes it and you edit, simple) and all the others that I have tried are really involved or have some problem running on XP. I also know I should update my Keyboard too.

Please any and all info anyone can give me here would be very helpful.
Thanks ahead of time.
Cyber-

For software, I'd look into Cakewalk's Sonar or Steinberg's Cubase. They both do audio, too. If on a budget, I'd look at PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio. If you want to do audio as well as midi, you might want to look at a different audio card, like MAudio's 2496 Audiophile.

Synths? I've always been partial to Roland. I have an XP10 at home- you can get on of them on Ebay for under $200 now. Korg has some nice stuff, too. OR- you could keep using your old keyboard as a midi controler and go with virtual instruments (software synths that run inside your computer as a plugin to your main program). Both Cubase and Sonar will support these (I think they even come bundled with some, depending on the package you get).
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote: Cyber-

For software, I'd look into Cakewalk's Sonar or Steinberg's Cubase. They both do audio, too. If on a budget, I'd look at PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio. If you want to do audio as well as midi, you might want to look at a different audio card, like MAudio's 2496 Audiophile.

Synths? I've always been partial to Roland. I have an XP10 at home- you can get on of them on Ebay for under $200 now. Korg has some nice stuff, too. OR- you could keep using your old keyboard as a midi controler and go with virtual instruments (software synths that run inside your computer as a plugin to your main program). Both Cubase and Sonar will support these (I think they even come bundled with some, depending on the package you get).

Thanks for the reply Axeman!
Cubase scares me and does weird things. However, I have yet to try Calkwalk's Sonar. Can you further your info on software synths that run inside your computer as a plugin to your main program? What is this and how does it work?
I will get Calkwalk's Sonar and try it out. I have Calkwalk's Pyro (I was a beta tester for it) so I know the software is well made.
What kind of weird things did Cubase do? A lot of folks use it. I'm a Cakewalk man myself.......

In all honesty, I am not the guy to ask about virtual instruments. I am still using outboard midi gear myself (a Roland XP-10 keyboard and a JV-1010 sound module). I don't do that much midi- usually just drums and keys in stuff I record.

What you should do is pop in on the "Virtual Instruments" forum of this board and ask there!! 8)

Quote: What kind of weird things did Cubase do? A lot of folks use it. I'm a Cakewalk man myself.......

In all honesty, I am not the guy to ask about virtual instruments. I am still using outboard midi gear myself (a Roland XP-10 keyboard and a JV-1010 sound module). I don't do that much midi- usually just drums and keys in stuff I record.

What you should do is pop in on the "Virtual Instruments" forum of this board and ask there!! 8)

Virtual Instruments ---- Ouch, never touch them I love my Roland JX-3P.
The string sounds are ex! However, I will be getting a newer one soon. I just have not made up my mind yet as to witch one to get there are so many.
Cubase is to invloved for my small brain to wrap around. It always lands up doing things that I have no clue about.
I need simple striaght forward software that works off of my midi interface. I play it writes I edit.
:o
Hmmmm- I am not aware of any program currently in production that is JUST a midi program. I have heard that the learning curve on Cubase is steep and this it is not the most useer friendly program. I went with Cakewalk early on and have never used Cubase.

Cakewalk Express is probably one of the simplest programs out there. You can check it out here:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Express/default.asp

Be advised, bro, that anything you get is gonna come with a learning curve. Don't let it get you down. It's inconvenient, and it WILL get in the way of your musical creativity for awhile. There's no way around it. You just have to accept it, learn what you need to learn to get back to being creative with your new tools, and drive on!! ;)