or
Create an account

or

Thread New to recording

• 7 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 New to recording
Hey all I am looking for a compact digital mixer and have no idea where to begin. I will be recording guitar, vocal, and from a drum kit. Any recommendations?
Don't you want to use your PC for recording??
Actually I don't know. I am a graphic designer and my computer is like my left hand. Will I be able to do more using my computer or will an all-in-one mixer do the same? I suppose I am just trying to figure out what all the options are.
I have no sound system, just instruments, a computer and my superb musical talent :D . I will need to record multi-tracks from a direct line in and from mics. Then I want to mix the recordings. I want the tracks to be in a digital format.
Digital mixers are really expensive!! I suggest you to buy a good soundcard and a sequencer like Sonar or Cubase... that is really more simple, and if you know how to use a computer, then it's your solution ;-)

Take a look at the "sound card" topics and at the "sequencer" topics... you have all you need there ;-)
And a mixer for your drum.
Thanks for the help. I have already learned a lot.

I have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard (www.soundblaster.com/products/sblive/compare.asp). If I had something like Cakewalk Music Creator would I just be able to line directly into my sound card for recording or do I need some additional upgrades or hardware (mixer etc.)?
You got the idea. I'd get a small mixer (like a Behringer UB1202), and a different soundcard. You probably won't like the quality you get out of the Blaster.

Run the stuff into your mixer, then over to the soundcard. I love Cakewalk stuff (it's what I use), but I'm not familiar with Music Creator. I would think Sonar or Home Studio would be more in line with what you're trying to do. You might want to look at that again............
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD