or
Create an account

or

Thread Seperating tracks for drums

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Seperating tracks for drums
I've recorded drums a few times, but it's always been all in one track. They come out all right, but I'm unable to compress the snare or get the bass drum to have the right snap, without messing up how other drums sound. Everything I read says to "record the drums in serperate tracks" but I don't know how to do that.

I use Sonar 3 Producer Edition, with an E-MU sound card that has a left and right input. I run everything through a simple mixer.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it.
You need multiinput soundcard, than you connect your mics throught preamp to soundcard inputs. Then choose diffrent input on each channel in your recording program and record.
With your soundcard try to do this: Place one mic in your bass drum(or infront of it), And place your second mic above all drumset. Second mic must be condenser with at least 120° caracteristic. Than plug them somhow to soundcard.

I don't use sonnar but I think it is same than in other programs. Choose two mono track to record, than select first track input right channel , secondtrack input right input channel.

You will get in one channel "only" bas drum recorded, and in the other full drumset, now you'll can do some effect procesing.

But for good quality look at the upper post.
If you really want to be able to process the different drum elements you'll have to record it with at least 4 microphones on 4 tracks. I think it's time for a soundcard upgrade. If you decide to purchase a new soundcard don't go for 4 inputs, go for 8. It will provide much more possibilities when recording.
In re to the above post, I would recommend the Edirol UA 1000, I got this for the same reason you need a new one - its quality is immense and has 8ins, 8outs. This will allow you to record your drums mic'd up as previously mentioned. This is a USB driven device and acts as a souncard (Audio Interface) between your instruments, your pre-amps and the PC's multitrack software. This unit will also allow you to record live tracks with 8 simultanious inputs.

Hope this is helpful.