Vox Tonelab EX
Vox Tonelab EX

Guitar Amp Simulation Pedal from Vox belonging to the Tonelab series.

nielab nielab

«  "Disappointment!" »

Publié le 06/08/11 à 18:00
digital multi-effects pedal with a "lamp" (for decoration?) in preamp:
fairly complete, with USB port, headphone jack, switch on the back for selecting an output line type, vox, fender, marshall ...
expression pedal and wha-wha

frankly, not too need the user manual is pretty clear and intuitive, sounds pretty easy to program.

good fishing is where it ... yet I like VOX, good products too expensive, I have a VOX Nightrain few pedals, I also like the Vox AC30, and even Valvetronix are good modeling amp ...

short, recently I got tired of me walking around with a string of pedals, so I decided to move to multi-effects, and this time the fate in store ... TONELAB EX compulsive buying, I I stupidly bought without thinking, having confidence in the brand VOX.
Once back home, late at night, I decided to hook up my Stratocaster JEFF BECK (I'm a big fan!), Using headphones to avoid disturbing the neighbors, and my time, it sounded ... not too bad ...
But the next day, I decided to plug in the small head with a box Nightrain 2X12 vintage in 30, then after plugging it into a head tube B52 ST60A ... after much tinkering and connections of all kinds, I realize the obvious:
This multi-effects do not ring! (My first big disappointment at VOX):
screaming sounds, lack of safe, it sounds digital (I wonder if the lamp of the pedal a little too emphasized, is not there any more for decoration than anything else ?)... only the wha-wha is not too bad ... I try again the next day, then repeated at high volume, and the result is the same:
it sounds not ... well ... no wonder if instead, but in the negative sense, 3 weeks after purchase and a concert, the INPUT of the pedal broke!
So back to the store, and this is where the miracle happens ... I try another multi-effects pedal and there is love at first sight, the sounds are sublime, grand, powerful, warm, beautiful .... in a word, multi-effects of my dreams ... I'm on the buttocks, this is the TC ELECTRONICS NOVA SYSTEM.

At least that the VOX failure allowed me one thing, meet the perfect companion to sublimate the sound of my guitars and my amps.

maybe this pedal is nice for the home studio, but plugged into an amp or loop facade .... and well, it sure did not.
In all cases the discomforts with this pedal VOX get me license to make the acquaintance of NOVA SYSTEM (is not that I want to advertise for the baby TC ELECTRONICS but it is really a killer sound mixing analog and digital) and see the glaring differences between a mediocre multi-effects and a very good multi-effects!