or
Create an account

or

Thread Hey, bit of help getting started please :)

• 5 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Hey, bit of help getting started please :)
Hey, I'd like to start recording guitar onto my PC and although I've done some research I am still a bit confused.

From what I understand you can get a jack socket adaptor so I can basically plug my guitar straight into my sound card (Which is a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64V) and then use a sequencer of some kind.

If this is correct can any one suggest what kind of sequencer I should get (low budget :p) and if not what should I do instead.

Thanks in advance.
Dragoon-

To run straight into your soundcard and get a decent sound, you should have some sort on amp modelling guitar processor like a Pod, a Digitech RP, or a Behringer V Amp.

If you have an amp that's an improtant part of you sound, you need a small mixer and a mic (like a small Behringer mixer and a Shure SM57 mic). Run the mic to the mixer, and then the outputs of the mixer to your soundcard. Your soundcard will need to support simultaneous playback and recording to multi track.

For software (a sequencer is usually just midi, BTW. A little terminology... you need recording software to record audio) , Cakewalk makes recording software specifically aimed at guitarists. Other inexpensive software is FASoft's N Track and PG Music's Power Tracks Pro.

Hope this helps.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hey, thanks for all the help. I'm going to try and get a Pod or Guitar Port type of thing and then see if I need to get better software. (I got some free with a computer music magazine recently so its probably not great)

As for the mixer thing I don't think I need any of that yet because I dont particularly love my current amp, however I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks again. :)
Take a look at the Behringer V Amp line. Probably the best bang for the buck out there right now. :D
Back again, I got a V-Amp 2 a few days ago but it very quickly just died...
I've check all the leads are plugged in correctly and still nothing, no lights, heat, noise etc. I'm gonna have to just return it and get a new one but I thought I would see if you had any idas first
Sounds like you got a bad one, bro. Sorry about that..... you're gonna like it when you get a working one, though!! :D