Purchased the HB30 off ebay for $291.00. came with Washburn care. The guitar is a 1994 model and was vwey well cared for.
I love everything about this axe. The set neck is perfect and balance superb. Pickup tone can be adjusted to anyones taste and they do howel. Center block keeps feedback to almost nill. Fit and finish near perfect to boot. I have been playing for 35 years. I have played Gibsons, Fenders, Guild's etc. and this guitar is one of the very best I have ever put my hands on.
I can't think of a thing.
The HB30 has maple body and set neck. Pickups are wasnburn double humbuckers. Four tophat knobs run the show. Grover 18:1 tuners work perfectly. Three way switch very accessable on the top left. Beautiful cherry finish is flawless.
Bottom line! Get this axe! Is feels, sounds, and is built as good or better than a Gibson ES 335. That'so joke. Go to your local guitar store and strap on a few. Play the Washburn last then walk out with 1000.00
at least saved. (2000.00 if you talk Gibson)
Any guitar plays only as good as the musician so get to it.
- Well mine is "made in china" I think for others it is the same ... a bit disappointed on this point, but the finish is correct for the price. They are paid a pittance but the results are very honest.
- It has 22 frets, easily exploited until the 20th to bend or slide down to 22th and also without much trouble.
- The bridge is a tune-o-matic style Gibson (well a bit thinner than my Les Paul)
- Two volumes microphones, two tones. (I mainly use the Custom neck pickup, which seems more acute than velvet, tone corrections are effective and allow to approach the desired sound.
- The handle is stuck (it was a pleasant surprise for me)
- Central beam to sustain.
- Grover 18:1
- Strings must be provided with regular game 10-46 (I will change soon for a hair pulling a kind of steepest 11-48)
- Quite frankly I have not tried other semi-hollow body before making the acquisition a month ago about that in my HB30, the handle is correct, less round than my Les Paul Custom, approaching more and thickness Fender Strato of my (so round and not too thick), it allows many of agreement and slide aisément.J have had some initial problems with the D and the 5th floor cargo bend (they curled hair) but after a small adjustment to the bridge (string height) the problem is resolved.
- Ergonomics is good, also the weight (heavier than a chouillat strata).
- For sound, me I'm fine.
- I wanted to make me a semihollow pTis the ox, I like to play on the lines of Miles (age 70's, the heyday for my taste) and those of Grant Green, and although I am not disappointed. HB30 but also to make small blues to Johnny Lee Hooker .. So register Jazz freejazz, blues, boogie ...
- I play on my HotRod Deluxe 40 modified by me ^ ^, and clean or drive it sounds good, and also unplugged the evening so as not to wake the little family and it sounds too, its history of working agreements and its range.
- For sound, well like I said before I mainly use the neck pickup (my favorite), the micro acute is too garish for my taste, but obviously for a guitar at this price do not s 'expect to have quality-seymour duncan or 57' Gibson .. but I repeat, for the price, it does.
And since the price of the equivalent set of pickups would see more than the price of the guitar, it is not even worth thinking about.
Well I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I was looking for an affordable semi-hollow boby ... my dream would have been a natural ES-335 custom shop but I have not 4500 euros for it, or the 750 for a Sheraton, and I think it would have been a bit of a waste, given my level (you must be humble ) but then the ES-335 remains a dream (it is too beautiful in natural or vintage sunburst), but a small HB30 is fine.
I ordered the United States on music123 for the price of 199 USD (about 170 euros), but this must be added for shipping and unfortunately, taxes and Customs (snif snif they told me not forgotten) basically I went out to the natural HB30 to 295 euros all inclusive. If I had a bit more of Grisby, I would have taken the natural HB35 me look better but I prefer over the Dots on the fretboard and opencoils which more roots.
So for those who can not afford a Sheraton or a true ES-335, and many are going to try these little Washburn, you may be surprised.
Me personal, I'm happy ... Finally, if anyone wants me to exchange it against a natural or vintage sunburst ES335, there is no problem: D
Joking aside, for the price, it does
4 of 4 people found this review helpful
Did you find this review helpful?yesno
ToMoW's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)
First of all I would like to clarify that this is my first guitar so I try to be objective but I have not much basis for comparison (plus I've had a week but I have already used a lot ):
While guitar Chinese manufacturing seems very correct: the mechanics seem to hold water, two micro type hambucker (1 volume knob and tone for each microphone and a selector 3 positions), then set neck for sustain c ' is good, the handle is not too large so it's rather good for my little mimine, 22 frets I think ...
I put 8 out of 10 because I'm pretty comfortable.
Well the handle is not too big, it slips pretty good, I who previously only played on acoustic pals ca change!
It is up to the 19th fret at home
A little heavy when you play sitting (standing still I have not tried strap for now ...) for my taste but hey, the box may well be hollow remains of wood inside.
Well then I'll be brief, I know very little. It suits me very well for the song or rock nerveu too (I was beginning to back paddle on power chords not yet tested on the big sound)
Unplugged it sounds pretty good, is the advantage of half a box, I plugged it depends not compare the amp and as I have no point of comparison, I leave it to other to do
Note, a small adjustment of the bridge needed ca becaufe bordered on the 1st and 2nd string.
Level the money is sure it snaps, I paid 310 euros and I regret it at all. Mine is cherry red, and you see the wood grain (well, plywood, but in the words of another opinion, even some are made of plywood gibson) or it has liserais white on the gills and around the box ca makes it a lot.
With the experience I think I would do this first choice is not becaufe guitar quickly stopped in its tracks by the guitar for a beginner there is room before tournament to fully exploit the guitar and as she takes the road well for now do ac