or
Create an account

or

Thread Computer setup for optimal performance

• 8 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Computer setup for optimal performance
I really need any informations about seting up my computer for optimum performance, like for example buffer setup, bios changes, irq,... I use RME Hammerfall 9632 with ext. board on PC (AMD Athlon 1,4 and Asus MB). I have installed the card, but the problems apear again and again (crackles, noises, etc). I don't know if the problem is in soundcard itself or in the computer. By the way operating system=win XP. Any answer on this would be great!

Nice day to all!!! :?
demc-

The most common causes of crakling and popping are timing or driver issues. This can be hard to fix. Here are some things to check:

1. Make sure that you have the latest drivers for your soundcard and video card.

2. In your BIOS- many PCI busses use an IRQ sharing scheme because there are more options than there are IRQ's to go around. Many of these sharing schemes are based on which slot your card is in in conjunction with what other cards and devices are installed on the computer. You can see which IRQ's are assigned in your BIOS, but understanding the sharing scheme will require that you look at the users manual for your motherboard. Disable any devices you are not using (for instance, any COM ports or USB ports you are not using.) Look in both your BIOS ane your manual and see if your soundcard is sharing IRQ's with any other devices. If it is, find a scheme that allows your soundcard it's own IRQ. Generally this will involve moving the card to another slot. If you do move the card (which is something you might want to try either way), delete the device in Windows first. This will remove the driver. Then shut the computer down and move the card. When Windows comes up again, re-install the driver.

3. The other place to look is in your recording software- make sure that the timing sources for recording and playback are correct, and that your sample rates are set properly. Either of these can also cause crackling and popping.

Hope this helps.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanx Axeman! I hope it will work.
Hi Demc

Try:www.C/NET.com
www.download.com
www.freewareflies.com
www.ZNET.com
www.softlandmark.com

I Hope These Sites Can Help
Hi Rony!

I don't know if this links are useful for me, but thanx anyway.
I have moved the card to other slot and still no changes :( But I have noticed this: soundcard (PCI) and videocard (AGP) are using the same IRQ (11). Could this be a problem? I also found out, that xp and newer motherboards support ACPI which automaticaly asignes IRQs to plug-in devices, so to change IRQ in Bios manually, I'm forced to switch my computer from ACPI to Standard PC. If I do that, can I change IRQs manually?

tnx
yo demc

if you are having irq sharing problems...you got to switch from ACPI to standard pc mode...this will sacrifice some features, such as standby, hibernation, stuff like that, but your pc will probably handle all of your audio hardware MUCH better.

get into the Device Manager (Control Panel-System-Hardware)
click Computer, ACPI-PC, Driver, Update Driver
Display a list of the known drivers for this device
Show all hardware of this device class
select 'Standard-PC'

be sure to do a little research on standard pc mode, but it should transform your pc into the studio you've always wanted!

pwiancko[/quote]

Quote:
get into the Device Manager (Control Panel-System-Hardware)
click Computer, ACPI-PC, Driver, Update Driver

I have a similar IRQ issue. And I've followed your instructions up to this point. Not sure what to do when "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" is displayed. Any help would be lovely.
in the wizard choose "install fro specific location"
and then choose "don't search..."
now i can see a list of all the drivers in your computer, go down and choose
standart pc and install...
regards,
Go to control panel - system - device maneger. If you have irq problems you will have a questionmark before device with problems. But I think this is not your problem. Go to your recording program setup and set the audio output device your sound card and not windows Wave mapper or primary sound driver.