Apex Electronics 430
MGR/devin_1968 MGR/devin_1968

« Apex 430 Condenser Mic »

Published on 04/26/06 at 15:00
I've been playing since 1986. Started with bass guitar, then acoustic and now electric, as well as vocals.

I rented an AKG 3000B condenser mic from Long & McQuade for a short recording project, and I loved the acoustic guitar sound. Before my rental month was up, I picked up the Apex 430 for $130 Cdn. (The AKG was about $700 at the time, out of budget). I compared them side by side for a couple of nights. The Apex had a bit more bass, and a bit shallower sound up top. Far and away superior to a dynamic mic for vocal or acoustic, however.

For the money, it is a really good mic for about $100 US right now. Comes with a good quality shock mount and a small bag to keep the mic in. Great for learning condenser mic singing technique...I have to sing off-axis just a bit to avoid blowing into the diaphram. Try setting it about 3 feet away directly out from the 12th fret on your acoustic...but don't tap your feet too loud...this condenser mic records it all.

No attenuation pad for louder sources. When you mic a guitar amp, go easy on the volume. Also add a pop filter for signing, and watch your breathing because this mic will pick it up! And remember, you'll need a +48V phantom power supply to run it.

Solid for 3 years now. I lend it out on occasion, and everyone enjoys using it. It was the best mic I had for 2 years of home recording.

If music is about experimentation, then you can learn alot from playing around with this affordable mic. Plus you can spend the money you save on more stuff, increasing your experience. If this is your first condenser mic, you will not be dissappointed with the results.