RODE NT1
Published on 03/14/11 at 18:19
The Rode NT1 is the original version of the NT1 microphone, which has been replaced by the popular NT1A. I don't believe that there's too much of a difference between the two of them other than I don't believe that this one being many any more. The NT1-A is the 'anniversary' edition, although I don't know what the anniversary is. The anniversary edition is also gold, while this is white. Other than that, I believe that they are the same exact microphones. The NT1 has a sleek design and a cardioid pick up pattern. It's a condenser microphone so it will indeed require phantom power, and will pick up frequencies between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. There isn't a pad or any roll off features to be aware of with the NT1.

Since there's no real difference between the Rode NT1 and the Rode NT1-A, both are definitely viable options as a condenser microphone for your home studio. The NT1 has a super clean sound and picks up everything in the room, which can be both a good and bad thing depending on how you're using it. I've used the NT1 mostly for recording vocals, and it's attention to detail here really makes it a nice mic to have around. While it can definitely be a bit harsh sounding since it's so brilliant, when used properly I think you can work this to your advantage. I wouldn't say that I'd encourage you to go with the NT1 over the NT1-A, but I'd go with whichever you can get the cheapest. Either way you're going to be getting a great deal as the NT1 is probably the mic out there that gives you the most bang for your buck. At $200 US dollars new, you're going to be hard pressed to find a mic of it's caliber for the same price or cheaper. If you're looking for an all purpose condenser microphone for your home studio and are trying to spend the least amount possible to still get a quality microphone, look no further than the Rode NT1.