maxim|digital audio Limiter [Freeware]
Publié le 06/12/10 à 21:23
The Maxim Digital Audio Limiter is a free plug-in that is compatible with any PC based system that will support VST plug-ins. I believe that this plug-in only comes in VST format, or at least that is what I was running it as. It should be an easy enough process to download and install this plug-in, as you should be able to download all of the Maxim Digital Audio plug-ins in one swoop if you want to. The make up of the plug-in definitely makes it easy to use, as it shares the same simple looking interface as most of the MDA plug-ins that I’ve used. This one just has parameters for threshold, output, release, attack, and knee, which are pretty standard applications for limiters and other dynamic processors. You won’t need any sort of manual to learn how to use this plug-in.

I no longer have this plug-in running on my current system, as my Pro Tools rig isn’t compatible with it since I run it on a Mac. However, when I did run it, it was in Cubase SX on Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv8000 lap top that consisted of a 3.0 Ghz processor and 2 GB of RAM. I mostly ran it in Cubase SX 2.0, but also later ran it Cubase SX 3. It definitely isn’t a plug-in that will take up much processing power, so as long as you’re currently able to run plug-ins comfortably in your system, you shouldn’t be limited in how well you can run this plug-in. Every system is of course different, so I’d recommend downloading and trying it for yourself to see how well it will run on your individual system.

While the Maxim Digital Audio Limiter isn’t a plug-in that I ever would have bought, but being that it is free I ended up having it in my rig for as long as I had a PC running Cubase. I can’t say that it is a plug-in that I necessarily miss having since I didn’t use on a daily basis, but it was definitely decent enough to warrant having it in my plug-in suite just in case. The sound quality isn’t anything to write home about, but it certainly does sound like a limiter. For the time this was a much better sounding plug-in, but being that it’s all relative, by modern plug-in standards the MDA Limiter isn’t all that impressive. Having said all of that, there really isn’t any reason not to have this plug-in on hand if you’re system will allow you to.