Apple GarageBand

GarageBand, Loop Sequencer from Apple in the GarageBand series.

All user reviews for the Apple GarageBand

Average Score:4.4( 4.4/5 based on 30 reviews )
 14 reviews47 %
 11 reviews37 %
 4 reviews13 %
vsavagellc11/29/2012

vsavagellc's review"Most Underrated DAW"

Apple GarageBand
If you're a Mac user this is a free DAW that will come pre installed on your machine. It's very easy to use and has good instruction and how to tutorials built into it.

If you have problems there are always youtube videos out there that you can use to further educate yourself with (for free).
It recognize usb devices that are plugged in automatically. So, if you are using a midi controller or USB mic (for recording vocals) it would pick it up.

As far as stability it's pretty stable although if you have a problematic plugin installed it may crash garage band (which is not the fault of the DAW itself).

Garage Band is just as good as any of it's competitors out there in terms of audio quality. I will admit it's not as flexible as some of the others but again we are talking about a FREE application here. Can't complain much when we're talking about free tools.

I've been using this DAW since July of 2012 (that's when I purchased my MACBOOK)

The only thing I don't really like about Garage Band is it's graphic look (the GUI). Don't get me wrong, it's clean and really nice to look at I just wish it looked like some of the others on the market (maybe I'm just being picky).

It's one of the best DAWS out there in it's price range (again FREE you pay nothing for it.)

Audio quality is good, customer support is good (if you every contact customer support about anything). I've tried a lot of DAWS out there: Cubase, Sonar, Pro tools, Logic Pro and I can say I'd still fire up garage band over most of the DAWS I've listed because if it's simplicity.

It's just an easy program to use. In all honest if this program were not free I probably would have never tried it, so good marketing on Apple's part for including it with the MAC purchase
AudioArtist11/27/2012

AudioArtist's review"Well balanced and efficient recording software for the novice to intermediate"

Apple GarageBand
GarageBand is an excellent place to start for the aspiring engineer. If it came with your brand new Mac then you are ready to roll as soon as you turn your machine on! The help files/manual are easily accessible within the program and sufficiently cover anything you need to know about using the software. All of the typical functions are quite easily accessible with just a little bit of poking around.

I've been using GarageBand since 2005 and have upgraded since then as newer versions arrived. In terms of performance, GarageBand does quite well. As long as you have a sufficiently powerful computer you can easily create tracks using up to 30 some software and real intrument tracks without too much slow down or crashing. This is quite a good track count for a program like this.

Obviously what is to like about GarageBand is it's simplicity and the amount of power and control over your recording and mix that can be had, especially for a newcomer to digital recording. It does have it's limitations though. One of the biggest issues that I have encountered with GarageBand is dealing with editing. GarageBand only allows you to zoom in on a waveform just so much. Ocasionally you may encounter a waveform that you just cannot trim to a null point, this can be worked around using volume automation but it's still annoying,(what you may experience are some unwanted clicks/pops at times)
The newer versions have increased the power of GarageBand alot! Now it offers real time multi-tracking!-(you'll need an external interface) Also, it even comes with a real-time spectrum analyzer! Although the spectrum analyzer is VERY primitive it is helpful and, like the program itself, a good starting point for training yourself to do your own recordings/mixes.
Another limitation is a shelf on how many effects can be used on a certain track. There is a workaround but it can be frustrating at times.
The overall sound quality of GarageBand is adequate for the beginner or intermidiate engineer but it falls way short of the quality that a professional engineer would prefer. However, GarageBand's easy to use function to export directly to iTunes or to a podcast is definitely a plus.
I've personally used many, many DAWs over the years and while GarageBand certainly would not be my first choice for serious recording, it does have it's charms and remains a tool that I use often regardless if it doesn't quite meet my quality desires. Since it comes pre-installed on nearly every Mac you really can't go wrong playing around with it!
07/14/2011

Anonymous 's review"Why would a beginner buy Logic before he tries GarageBand!?"

Apple GarageBand
GarageBand was designed for the Mac OS, by the developer who made the Mac OS, so Apple's beautiful software homogeneity makes GarageBand painfully easy to start up. I don't own a Mac myself, but I've done my share of being around my friends when they first get Macs, so I can tell you right now that GarageBand is a cinch to get running.

For goodness sake, GarageBand comes installed on new Apple computers as it is, and if yours doesn't have it for some reason, iLife is almost criminally simple to set up, since it's designed to so perfectly integrate with Mac OS.

Because of this, there should be no compatibility problems whatsoever, and it runs smoother than a new patent leather shoe.

It has the basic functionality needed for anyone to get started on anything. Basic recording and MIDI functions hold your hand into the world of audio recording as long as you're willing to get into it yourself. Presets are the name of the game in GarageBand, so you're not overwhelmed with parameters until you understand basic workflow.

It is possible, however, to overwhelm your machine. As long as you have a relatively modern computer, you should be fine. And being the beginner you probably are, you won't be running forty tracks at once because you want to comp all your takes.

I could see how GarageBand would be a great tool, even for professionals, when quick idea capture is all that's needed. Logic is a wonderful tool, as are all the other DAWs, but quite honestly, they can get rather unwieldy if all you want to do is record a guitar lick so you don't forget it later. GarageBand doesn't come with any bloat.

However, you can do some rudimentary projects on this as well! After all, we've heard of projects being done in Audacity, and GarageBand, I've found, is just quite a bit more comprehensive.
Hatsubai06/05/2011

Hatsubai's review"Beginner's DAW"

Apple GarageBand
Apple's Garageband is their beginner DAW that they recommend everybody try. It's meant for those who just want to dabble in recording. It's built so that it caters towards simplicity rather than trying to overwhelm the user with tons and tons of options like so many other DAWs out there. It's a bit lacking in terms of compatibility with certain plug-ins out there. While certain plug-ins do work with the DAW, such as Superior Drummer, there are certain features that you might be missing due to the limits of the actual implementation. I never read the manual, so I can't really comment on that. However, Apple's support is usually great, and they have a forum dedicated towards helping out users in need.

Garageband is known for its stability. There are few programs out there that are as stable as this is. However, as I said above, it's a bit limiting. I'm a power user, so this is all in the perspective of someone who records as more of a profession rather than a hobby. I find the lack of options to be a bit limiting as to what I can do. While it works for just scribbling down ideas and making some basic tracks on the road, I find myself wanting my full DAW more than anything else.

Garageband is a great DAW for those who are just starting out, but keep in mind that it has its limitations as to what you can actually do. It's not meant for power users, and those who are used to professional DAWs might find it a bit lacking overall. However, if you're a casual musician who needs something basic to use, Garageband should suit you nicely. The best part about the software is that it's free, so you're more than welcome to use it to its fullest. If you can, however, I recommend trying to save up for Logic Express. You'll get so much more out of that DAW than any other DAW out there in terms of price, and it's extremely stable to boot.
WuTangSht12/26/2010

WuTangSht's review"Free, but not the best choice"

Apple GarageBand
The setup was completely done already. The Application was already in the computer and there is no manual for it, it's just a mediocre software that came with the MacBook Pro. GarageBand is only compatible with Mac, as it was made by Apple Inc. so you can't use it in Linux or Windows. It was pretty easy to figure out how GarageBand works it lacks many important tools for real producing. The program is already configured for the Mac working system and the defaults shouldn’t really be changed since you don't need to. The typical functions are accessible and easy to understand since GarageBand is made for people who are new to electronic music production. Everything in the program has an easy, self-descriptive name. For example, when you change some audio's voice sound, the presets have names like "Deep Voice" or "Helium Voice", etc while in other more professional programs to do this you need to use the EQ, Pitch Change, Compressor, etc. So, it's very easy to use and understand GarageBand but it lacks a lot of professionalism.

The software does work correctly with this configuration since the program is installed already when you buy the Mac Computer. The default is meant to have GarageBand work at optimum performance which obviously makes it stable since professionals had it configured to Mac machinery, so the program will rarely close by itself or have any errors. If used GarageBand for about 3 months before I got something better to produce.

What I like about GarageBand is that it's free and that it's easy to understand and access. It's pretty good for beginners and to play around with, but to produce professionally, it's very bad. The program lacks a lot of tools to mix voices in with an instrumental and it has very poor sounds to make instrumentals yourself. The sounds it offers you are just a few and they are very weak. GarageBand for making beats is horrible and for mixing, it isn't very affordable. Its value is great obviously since it's free but that still doesn't make the program better. The sound quality is pretty weak and it could be better. There are few tools to make sound be better. This was my first model to produce since it came with my MacBook Pro and I disliked it back then too.
mooseherman08/26/2010

mooseherman's review"Ubiquitous, yet surprisingly useful program"

Apple GarageBand
This program comes standard on Macintosh computers. I never particularly cared for it very much, having been familiar with Pro Tools (and to a lesser extent, Logic) already before I purchased a MacBook Pro. The program is easier than Pro Tools to get started using, in fact, in hindsight it'd have been better to learn initially in this program. The setup is pretty basic, though it took me a little bit to figure some things out (for instance, to use the mic you have to set up a real audio track instead of an instrument track, etc.). The functions, which are somewhat limited, are easy to access.

The software usually works fine for the most part. The configuration of the software with my MacBook pro is usually fine, however, sometimes I actually do a LOT of recording (like jamming and leaving it recording for the duration). When this happens, there have been times where it can't handle the workload. This can be prevented by keeping the number of tracks to a minimum. The performance is usually pretty fast, I think that maybe using it too frequently in a short amount of time would make it perform slowly, and occasionally stop recording in the middle of a take.

I like the ease of use that Garageband offers. I really think that it's the best thing to use if you need to make a rough demo of something, a project you have no intention of releasing. I've actually been able to record a full kit and bass guitar with the Apple mic, and have managed to get really good sounds just by EQing and compressing. As far as mixing goes, there's enough features to make your projects at least listenable. The virtual instruments certainly don't hold a candle to Logic, though, so don't expect to make great music with those. Overall, it's a good program to have.
MGR/ctargia05/05/2010

MGR/ctargia's review"Apple GarageBand"

Comes with Mac OSX

I got this software bundle in the new MAC OSX

First and foremost its free, (if you get a new mac). Simple to use and very intuitive. This is a great program for musicians who want to start to get into producing or just want to record there own music. There are tones of different tones and filters you can add to your instrument and a lot of different MIDI instruments to play around with and be creative. If you have never used audio editing software this is a great way to get started mixing and producing. You can do a lot with this program without much practice.

It is not very versatile. There is a reason you wont go to a pro studio and see the sound engineer running garage-band, it just can't do as much. Some of the MIDI instruments don't sound as authentic but that is to be expected

I would guess 'construction' would mean coding, and in that case I would say its very good, and I personally have not had it crash out on me very often.

If you are serious about producing music, you are better off with a mac anyway, and since all new macs come with this software, its worth a try. If you are going to invest money in real production, I would shell out some dough for a more robust piece of software (Logic/Reason/ProTools/Etc).

If you are just a musician who wants to compose some tunes, without learning a complex program, then Garageband is your program!

moosers03/25/2009

moosers's review

Apple GarageBand
Apple Garage Band was easy to install, as it came installed with my Mac Book Pro when I bought it. It is designed by Apple, for Apple computers, so I never had any compatibility problems at all and it has always run smoothly for me. The interface of the program is very easy to follow, and is really just a simplified version of Apple Logic. I mostly use this software to record ideas and demos straight from the microphone on my Mac into Garage Band. I don't have a manual for this, but if you have never used any program like this, it might be a good idea to have around. However, on the other hand, if you have any experience with audio or MIDI software, you should be able to figure this out without a manual.

I am currently running Apple Garage Band on a Mac Book Pro that has a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM. I have never had a problem running as many audio or MIDI tracks as I'd like in Garage Band with this set up. I have run up to about twenty tracks of audio or mixed audio and MIDI at once without issues. However, how many tracks and effects you can run at once really depends on your machine more than the software itself.

I've been using Apple Garage Band for around year since I got my Apple computer that it came installed on. While I have Apple Logic and Pro Tools that I use for most of my projects, I use Garage Band for demos and ideas when I just want to record straight from my computer microphone. The price of Garage Band is free with an Apple computer, but is cheap within the iLife bundle if you need to buy it. Garage Band is powerful software even though it comes with all Mac computers. It is great for beginners looking to try out this type of software.
Audiofanzine FR11/03/2008

Audiofanzine FR's review

Apple GarageBand
(Originally written by Billy B�gonia/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

It's a pity that the software has to be installed on the system's hard drive.

I'm using an old iBook G3 800MHz with 640 M RAM and an external firewire HDD.
I admit that my system is not very powerful. But a consumer software should work with an old computer. I bought GarageBand in 2004 and I can only play 5 or 6 audio tracks. The amp simulations and the virtual instruments use virtually all CPU resources.
I know my system is old but it has enough resources to play 10 audio tracks with Tracktion and Reason via Re-wire.

I've read reviews from people who say they can only play 8 tracks with a Macbook Pro, so I guess it must be a software optimization problem.

[edit] I just replaced my old computer with a 2.4Ghz Macbook with 2Gb RAM. I'll stick to Garage Band until I buy Logic (I also have Cubase SE but I'm too lazy to learn how to use it).
Everything works fine. I don't care about the number of virtual effects and instruments anymore. I even compose music for movies without a hitch.

Effects are very convincing and virtual instruments are ok (of course you can find better ones).

I'll still give it an average grade because it's really lousy with an old system.

Pros:
Easy to install and to use
Not expensive
Good effects

Cons:
Few possibilities without a powerful computer
With my version I can't change the rhythm in the middle of a song.

Conclusion:
I'm happy that I found a free version of Tracktion that works very good with my old iBook. I can even record 8 tracks simultaneously which would be impossible with GarageBand.

[edit] It's perfect for demos production at home if you have a new computer :D.
I will use Logic to polish my songs.
MGR/Coreen Leclerc06/17/2004

MGR/Coreen Leclerc's review"Apple Garageband"

Apple GarageBand
This peice of software was given to me as part of an iLife upgrade. It was 59.00 cdn or 49.00 US for the bundle of 5 iApps thrown in.

The first thing I noticed abot this software was the lack of tecchnical ability needed to use it. I have some ability but had been completely out of the industry for 10 years. This fact alone is significant. You could almost say that Garageband is what sucked me back into a world I swore to leave behind. After playing with the loops for a couple weeks I could not bare it anymore. My friend loaned me his guitar and I plugged it directly into the stereo line in jack on the 2 years old eMac.

one of the best things about GarageBand was the nice amplifier simulators. Some may balk at them but it was just like plugging in to my old fender chorus tube amp. The guitar I borrowed was an old rivera with these pickups that you could find on the old Harmony guitars. Its in bad shape but I'm no guitar technician. I can barely play really.

I'm told it works with most digital audio workstations but this is something I have yet to find out for sure.

Very little is bad about this software. Mixing down songs could be done at higher bitrates. It does abuse the computer processor more than other packages like cubase ot abelton live. right now I am workign on an eMac G4 700Mhz with one gig of pc133 ram. Right now my only limitations are my lack of computer and a good tactile DAW.

A great user interface that mimics apple's Soundtrack software with audio controls that are very easy to learn. The midi capability is great and seems to intigrate with any unit I ask about.

With a more powerful mac (say a dual G5 with a couple gigs or more of ram) I could probably break the 8 track barier that has been hedging my creative juices. There are many people out there using this software on older iBooks and making great music. Perfect for recording live performances. For 49.00 US you just can't go wrong if you own a G4 or G5 Macintosh with OS X running. Oh and it actually comes free with all new Macs.

you can hear some evidence from me and thousands of others at http://www.icompositions.com/auditorium/
my tracks are listed under the artist BlackLily.