In order to bring that sound, feel and look to a group of players and collectors today, Gibson Custom has introduced the Don Felder "Hotel California" 1959 Les Paul, an instrument created in the image of Felder's original 1959 'Burst in limited quantities.
Hired by the Eagles in 1974 to help the band make the transition from country-rock to a heavier, rock-based sound, Felder brought it on with a fat, creamy and singing tone.
Hand-aged examples reproduce the look of Felder’s own '59 Les Paul, while VOS versions present the gently aged look and feel of a vintage instrument. All are made with period-correct specs and components, including a pair of Gibson’s most accurate reproduction PAF pickups, and finished in a uniquely tinted and faded “Felder Burst” finish, formulated exclusively for this guitar, the company promises.
The Don Felder “Hotel California” 1959 Les Paul starts with figured maple for the two-piece top to replicate the look of Felder’s iconic 'Burst, and joins each set to a lightweight, solid one-piece mahogany back. This maple/mahogany pairing is designed to perpetuate a tonewood match designed to give you the perfect blend of maple’s clarity, snap and bite, and mahogany’s warmth, depth and richness.
A one-piece mahogany neck is glued in with the long neck tenon for superior resonance and sustain, and carved to match the neck on Felder’s '59 Les Paul Standard. It comes with a pair of BurstBucker pickups, anchored with the pairing of a Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, and topped with a set of vintage Kluson-style green-button tuners.
Gibson Custom has formulated a “Felder Burst” finish, designed to match the mellowed, sand-hued fade of Felder’s own '59 'Burst. Reproduced in nitrocellulose in a hand-executed process, the results are then treated to either meticulous hand-aging by Gibson Custom (150 guitars, 50 of which also will be signed by Don Felder), or Gibson Custom’s VOS process (150 guitars).
All guitars come with a black, plush-lined Gibson Custom hardshell case, a Certificate of Authenticity, and full owner’s manual and adjustment literature. Each also is covered by Gibson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Service.
- VOS – Felder Burst – $10,351 MSRP
- Aged – Felder Burst – $14,115 MSRP
- Aged/Signed – Felder Burst – $17,645 MSRP
For more information, visit www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Don-Felder-Hotel-California-1959-Les-Paul.aspx or www.gibson.com.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Empress Effects releases Reverb stompbox Empress Effects has announced their Reverb pedal has started shipping, and requests customer inputs for next feature to be added in a free update.
- iRig products to unlock Cubasis LE features Owners of IK Multimedia’s iRig digital interfaces, mics & MIDI controllers can now unlock features inside of Cubasis LE for iPad.
- Flash sale on Mr. Black's Eterna reverb pedal Today and tomorrow, the Eterna reverb pedal is available with a discount from Mr. Black's online store.