Sony MZ-R55
Sony MZ-R55

MiniDisc Deck from Sony belonging to the MZ series.

jbateman904 jbateman904

« 17 years of reliable service. »

Publié le 07/14/15 à 08:07
Audience: Anyone
I bought this item on a whim to do digital, two track recording from the main outs on my new Mackie 1604VLZPro, around 1998 or 1999. It was five hundred dollars at the time, and very small.

I imagined with the ATRAC compression cutting off a lot of lows and highs that I could add them back to the mix by dubbing them through some low end on the board. The cheapness of the disks appealed to me, as did the portability.

I only use it these days for listening to the 100 or so MD that we fully recorded in stereo (74 min) or mono (148!) And to prove that it still works.

The sound quality was incredible. Building quality was top notch. It took some hard floor drives during it's career, travelled to some shows and on trips. Not a smoke free environment. Never once gave up, never quit working.

MD is of course a dead format now, and it really does sound like MP3s, especially through the 1/8" outputs. But the "remote" is handy, and the manual is great.

Images linked to this review

• photo