Rocktron Vertigo

All user reviews for the Rocktron Vertigo

• songboysongboy

Rocktron VertigoPublished on 03/22/10 at 09:29
    This is primarily a vibe/modulation effect. I have however been able to create some great sounding "Chorus" effects out of this guy as well as some phaser effects too. This is a straight up analog effect. The only connections on it are 1/4" audio in and out and of course the Wallwart plug jack. No, this cannot be edited via a computer, just the knobs on the face of the stomp box. This is an analog effect.

There are only four knobs and two switches (well, one knob is also a switch too so technically three switches) on this guy so the editing is very simple. You get a "rate, depth, and level" knob to control the Modulation and a Vibe knob/switch to fine tune the rate and engage the "leslie" effect. You also have the "active" switch which engages the whole effect in your effects chain and a "fast/slow" switch for traditional style Leslie vibe control. These options shouldn't confuse anyone who is familiar with the basic concepts of a "Leslie" effects box. The manual is not necessary, in fact, I looked at one point and couldn't even find one.

I use this primarily with my Guitar rig (Parker fly into Fender Twin) and is sounds great. I haven't actually done an A/B with this pedal to see if it sucks any tone but I use my rig often enough, and when I through this into the mix, I didn't notice any change. I do believe it does a good enough job for live performance of reproducing the sound of my guitar. I haven't tried it in the studio yet. I did run my rhodes through this and it also sounded good but I prefer to use my guitar with it.

What I like most about it is the ability to fine tune the "leslie effect." With a real leslie, you get the option of fast or slow, which Rocktron also put on this pedal (very nice) but if you want to find a Vibe somewhere in between that, you can engage the "vibe mode" switch and adjust the dial to your liking. This was a very cool addition to the pedal and is the reason I picked this one up. The only thing I don't like about this pedal is they put the Wall Wart adapter plug right next to the input jack. I use "right angle" effects cables on my board so when the wall wart is plugged in, it gets right in the way of the audio plug. I don't know why they didn't put it on the back, there is a lot of unused room back there. I paid $30 for this used at a pawn shop and I am very happy about that. It seems to be going on ebay for around $50 to $60. I give it a 10 out of 10 for precision and quality of the sound in a live situation. I use a lot of high end boutique pedals that have Tru Bypass on them and when this pedal joined there ranks, I notice no tone degradation. Yes, for that price, I would buy two.