Mackie Control
Mackie Control
Will Zégal Will Zégal

«  Good product and not many alternatives »

Publié le 05/19/11 à 07:32
For how long have you been using it?
I have 6 years I think.

What thing do you like most/least about it?
Most: almost total control. It does almost the mouse (except for the edict and again)
The least: look quaint?

Did you try many other models before getting this one?
No. Only the Behringer BCF2000. Which broke down (rewind button) right mix. MCU purchased in an emergency because the control surface, once you've had a taste, eh ... Difficult to do without.
Compared to the BCF, there's no comparison. Although more controls accessible, integrated screen (not that damn virtual screen that takes up space on the screen and never in the right place) and jog-shuttle, which is unbeatable for moving quickly in a project .
Now, the BCF is a good choice for a more casual (and mine always helps me to control my TotalMix RME or sometimes for buses on large mix).

I have tried since the Euphonix Artist: very disappointing. Many aspects of latency and some very cheap for a product of this price (like jog, scandalous). Well, it is already beginning to date and I hope they have improved since then. But I will not trade a barrel of MCU cons two barrels of Euphonix.

Please note the upcoming release of a surface at QCon quite promising. Located between the BCF and the MCU, but closer to the latter. Maybe it'll bring down the price of MCU.

What is your opinion about the value for the price? Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choice? ...

It's expensive, but at the time, there was nothing really comparable. Now mine works perfectly used for years. Nothing against him or ... almost I do not know if I repeat the same if mine let go. To see as a test of Finance and the QCon.

The two criticisms I have to do to the MCU are:
- It is excellent for mixing, but bof plug-ins. The extension seems to mean C4 level settings (damage). To control them, I have therefore added a Novation SL, much more suitable.
- Extension of 8 faders is almost as expensive as full MCU. You may use BCF as extensions, but there is always the problem of no screen.