Yamaha REX50
EthanVanGuard EthanVanGuard

«  Excellent for spicing up a synth / BAR »

Published on 06/30/14 at 08:56
In the creature more than 30 effects, chorus, flanger, reverb, delay, distortion, pan, gate and mixtures of it (as a result of both).
Their publishing in the device is possible via a number of parameters and effects are arranged savable (60 saves).
Bypass usable on / off (no knob)
No rack.
Connectivity:
Jack L / R In
Jack L / R Out
Jacks pedal (for controlling effects or changing the use of the bypass).
MIDI In
Note a potentiometer to the input jack volume.

MIDI Out is useless for a machine like that, it controls sound than MIDI data.
All this is excellent. 9.

I got this machine, I just do not know before. I wanted to try it on a piano (Clavinova CLP-130), bang in the input jacks. At first glance, when you do not know the type of gear, it is a bit lost: but the buttons are not many, so after ten minutes I had the camera functions WITHOUT MANUAL, because otherwise it would not have been funny:-D
Conclusion: the manual is useless to learn how to change the effect used (in an identical order with delivery to start once at the end), edit effects, save editions (the edits of effects just after This almost).
Only drawback of this use: Use the up and down buttons to show (change) the current effect, but of course not as fast as with a potentiometer "value", which would have been useful . However, we can solve this problem by editing effect so that it does not perceive themselves, and change the current effect for a dry signal. As the cutoff between effects is inaudible or nearly inaudible, it returns to the prompt use of a knob. In addition, if you have a controller knobs, it is you (maybe!) possible via the MIDI In, control parameters.

Perfect use without a manual, a few small problems but remediable: it all worth 9.

In previous notice some users have criticized the distortions, something I do not understand. They are certainly different, which gives the machine a certain originality, but then to say that these effects are grimey and lo-fi? somewhat exaggerated as opinion. Know that the distortion does not sound like on other devices, where a negative view from the other affiliates.
NO, the effects sound good, I think sufficient quality. After, I do not say they are great, I remind you that this is a machine for 80 YEARS not estimate as Korg Kaoss Pad Quad's now.
A small caveat: do not go reverbs gain as is the case elsewhere. They may drop a little, but it is not a big problem.

Conclusion: the effects are good EVEN DISTO, but do not forget that this machine will be used to further spice up the sound of a device rather than an entire set, as would a mixer to a Korg effects or KPQ. It is still unusual for a device 80. Therefore I put 8.

I bought it yesterday and it made me very good impression. I intend to use it to improve the sound of a monophonic analog synth that I procure thereafter. To use this then it seems to me perfectly. The sound output is really good, something necessary for an effects processor.
This is my first processor specific effects, I am amazed knowing that the quality of the effects is not far from those that I can do with FL Studio 11. Both techniques have similar reports.

The +:
- Various effects and good quality
- "Really vintage machine" that costs nothing more Used
- Fine for couple with an analog synth, if some reverb is reduced (because it always takes a little bit .... always ;-))
- Compact
- The output quality

The -:
- No knob, but if you take a MIDI controller could remedy (you can even put the controller on the REX if not too ;-))
- Reverb sometimes not enough noisy

Do not tell me about quality / price ratio, I was offered this machine. But quite frankly, with the current bargain price, it is good. He perhaps was not at the time of the Franks, who knows?
If we had the choice again, I honestly do not know if I would do it again ..... no knobs but really cheap and perfect to go with an analog .............. ..... I hope I do not have to ask me! :-D

Hopefully this review has served
Ethan Van Guard