Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II
Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II

Overdrive pedal from Marshall belonging to the Effects series.

spouks spouks
Publié le 05/26/10 à 03:02
This was my first pedal ... Emotion. The beginning of the cycle too.
Everything has been said. To avoid running the wheels, I summarize.

The BB2 is a pedal to boost / overdrive consists of (you&#39;ll see is mega original):
- A nice, sturdy metal housing. Having knocked for 7 years, and it bluntly, she has nothing, not even a small scratch paint. This is frankly the solid.
- A switch (bypass logic)
- 4 knobs? Oh, no, actually 3 (Tone, Drive, Volume) and a switch 2 positions (Boost / Drive)
- An input jack and output jack. Otherwise it is useless.
- 9V DC input (- in the center of that classic)
- Housing for the 9V battery is easily accessible, but it takes out the screwdrivers (1 large screw)

Obviously, it&#39;s analog, not editable, not MIDI, not rack. 2 modes thus: boost (only the volume knob is active or blues (overdrive)
All this is fairly complete, although we regret not having the settings on the contour as JH1.

I put 8 because, as often, the input and output jack, although very stable, are surely not what is the best (I can say the same about 90% of my pedals). Similarly, the screwdriver needed for battery-users (not me) is a minus. Finally, the bypass is clean, but, as very often not completely clear (I will not go here into the debate True bypass or not, because I have good and not so good as to bypass physical and logical)

You understood, it is not going to return the brain to understand the beast.
You know to turn left? Yes? You know turn right? Yes? So it&#39;s good.

The race is not always knobs escalation copy. No problem for the volume knob, tone (a trend that keeps low-medium, see below), but quickly made the leap with the drive. A little finesse is needed. However, it is favored by the fact that the knobs "resist" a little, and not likely to get lost in all directions. However, no notching. For obsessives alike, will have to release the reporter, as usual. For the obsessed change its current chip, it is regrettable that the transition from one mode to another is not accessible by foot. My obsessions are located elsewhere, I do not have a problem.

And since we talk about it, I still have the manual. I think I read once, because there are settings available, which are correct but my faith to suit his config.

I put 9 for non-detented knobs and running the drive that seems a chouille stiff (but maybe also in the habit of TS-like

Well, finished the blurb, you attack the real thing.

Boost mode:

This mode was very useful at the time, because I lacked juice with my Marshall MG100DFX. I counted out a little of the mix. When we started, we always say: if I play harder, I get out of the mix. The sound that came out (with a guitar Ibanez first prize) was a bit rounder, a little too compressed. For what is to come out of the mix, there was not ideal. If the compression generated helped him, the next low-medium was not an advantage. Because of the boost BB2 colors the sound, and does so quite noticeable.

With my current config (Lonestar U.S. Fender Start, HSS, then, and DeArmond M75 on Studiotone Koch amp), I use the boost when I attempt to bottom-color medium that I compensate with the amp&#39;s bright out of the mix precisely. This boost is useful to change one of my Maxon OD9 more midrange oriented. Note that the boost is more enjoyable on my Koch tube, I can do cruncher sooner (the clear sound of this amp is excellent and very loyal too, and the overdrive channel is very straight, sometimes too much for some tracks). With the boost it a little drool is a bit fat no exaggeration. We also find that little compression, pleasant enough with work lamps. This mid-bass boost coupled to a drive in OD9 is awesome! (The reverse is also true ...)

In summary, this boost is a good choice to color the sound, but be careful because the low-mid short side must be offset a bit out of the mix group.

Drive mode:

- With MG100: finally a crunch! When I swapped the AX100G Korg multi-effects and / or channel 2 of the cons amp this pedal, I was amazed. The sound was cleaner, more powerful, fairly Marshall in mind. By turning the knob, you quickly come to sound very saturated and very compressed. Interesting. But I was a bit tired, because of the blast and some problems sending something less heavy. Moreover, the knob tone does not completely change the tone of the OD, which is still very oriented mid-bass no matter what.

- With Studiotone: Not bad at all. Coincidentally, less breath. The EQ of the amp is better, in my guitars are also, I can offset this a bit more color to break into the mix without destroying the ears of friends (or mine). The color remains, but becomes much more usable. Full sail, the sound is very compressed, very fat, very hot. By reducing the gain a bit, it becomes very round, a little fluffy and creamy. One sometimes has the impression that there is a small chorus behind it.
It&#39;s very bluesy modern.
On the overdrive channel of the amp (with not too much gain either, otherwise it quickly crushes all), it sends wood!

This pedal is very versatile, but it has lots of character. Having several OD or distortion to a provision, I have underfoot a range of rich sounds.

On a JCM800, I tried once. Boudiou! They are meant for each other.

I use it for 7-8 years. Before the purchase, I knew nothing, I saw Marshall written on it, she was beautiful, I took it. I like his character very Marshallian like she is not versatile, I like his strength. Fortunately boost his name is not clean boost, it would have been a damned lie! At the time I had bought new for 75 euros (perhaps have a bit more). It is easily used, but his hand is quite stable (around 45 euros). At that price it&#39;s all good. I use it sparingly, but I do not intend to part with it.

With experience, I would maybe not again this election in nine, but why chance pas.J &#39;have several OD / DS, I&#39;ve tried a bunch of others. Some are very straight (OCD), others have much personality at the expense of versatility. And sometimes it feels good.
Today I have a BB2, a Maxon OD9 a Boss DS1 Jap, MLB is coming soon, and I wonder if I should not sell all that against a T-Rex Mudhoney. But this is not the same price, and I have but one (special) sound.

For the bargain price, if you want a bit of Marshall in the foot, this pedal is worth it. Both modes are very colorful, so it&#39;s ideal to try it, especially in groups to the issue of low-mids in the mix, but that can be bought second-hand machinery often sells the same price. Go right ahead!