< Tous les avis Celemony Melodyne Plug In
Celemony Melodyne Plug In
tarrtime tarrtime

« Can't Imagine Living Without It »

Published on 02/08/13 at 09:14
Getting started with Celemony Melodyne is easy. The software is downloaded off their website and installed in a matter of minutes. I use the plug-in inside Pro Tools. It used to be that to use the software, it had to run over ReWire which was a little bit of a headache. Having it run as a plug-in is much better.
The interface is easy to use. Basically you start out by clicking the 'Import Audio' button and playback the signal you wish to edit. This has to be done so that the plug-in can record the sound for internal processing. After playback is finished, then you can edit the signal in many different ways.
The signal can be edited to correct pitch, but also the timing of the individual notes can be moved. Vibrato in the signal can also be adjusted.

The software is very stable as a plug-in for a DAW. I have only tried it with Pro Tools, but I imagine it is just as solid on other platforms.
How good does the pitch correction work? The pitch correction is very good but depends on several things. First, recording a signal 'dry' will help make the analysis of the signal better than if there is a lot of reverb or echo in the recorded signal. All these kinds of effects should be added post-Melodyne. For the most part, the pitch correction sounds very natural and does not have the extreme 'auto-tune' sound. Although, if you really want to, you can do this with Melodyne too. Having a good performance to begin with also helps. Finally, giving the software a long signal to analyze will result in better performance. Occasionally when I try to have the program analyze one or two note it has a hard time coming up with accurate results.

Celemony Melodyne is a necessary tool of the modern recording studio. Some people will complain that it is 'cheating' or that pitch correction takes away from the 'realism' of the performance. To some extent I agree, however if used in moderation pitch correction adds to a performance and doesn't take anything away. This kind of processing is used on almost all recordings these days, and is even more popular than extreme auto-tune effects. After using it for a long time, I can't imagine trying to work on a project with out it. There are many other products that do the same kind of thing as Melodyne, however I have not tried them. I started using Melodyne when it originally got started, and I have stuck with it ever since. I also like that they are continuing to innovate by expanding pitch correction to polyphonic recordings rather than just monophonic signals. The potential for creativity is crazy with being able to transform the pitch of individual notes in a guitar chord or piano chord.
There is also more potential for innovation in the future now that Celemony is working with DAW software developers to have a plug-in format where the plug-in can directly access the signal without having to play it back the way that it does now. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Celemony Melodyne.