Tascam's DR-40 features adjustable condenser microphones, four track recording and XLR mic inputs.
The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal microphones are adjustable from XY to AB position. A pair of microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, you can play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. You can transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and more.
- Handheld 4-track Portable Recorder
- Built-in condenser microphones, adjustable to XY or AB position
- XLR / 1/4” mic/line input with phantom power
- Locking Neutrik Combi jacks
- Record the built-in microphones with the XLR mic or line input for a four-track recording
- Dual recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
- Overdub mode allows recording along with a previous take
- Peak reduction automatically sets the ideal recording level
- 15-hour battery life from three AA batteries
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording resolution
- 2-second pre-recording buffer
- Variable speed playback from 50-150% speed without changing the pitch
- Adjustable limiter and low cut filter (40 / 80 / 120 Hz)
- Built-in speaker and chromatic tuner
- 1/8” headphone/line output
- Playback EQ and level align
- Stereo Reverb effect
- Tripod mounting hole
- SD/SDHC card slot supports up to 32GB media (2GB card included)
- USB 2.0 jack and cable for transferring recordings to computer
- Powered by three AA batteries, AC adapter (optional PS-P515U), external battery pack (optional BP-6AA), or USB bus power
- Optional RC-3F footswitch and RC-10 wired remote control
Pricing & Availability:
The Tascam DR-40 is available now at an estimated street price of $199. An optional BP-6AA Battery Pack, which takes six AA batteries, is designed to increase the battery life of the DR-40 from 17.5 to over 50 hours. This battery pack is designed to attach itself to DR-40 and a tripod allowing users to record without the use of an AC adapter or a computer.
BP-6AA will be available in October 2011.
Viewers of this article also read...
- The best 8-inch powered monitor speakers for less than 700€ per pair Sometimes you need a couple of big speakers, but can't necessarily afford them. Don't panic! There are some speakers with an 8-inch woofer that can manage the low end quite decently without setting you back more than 700€ (about $800). We haven't tested all of them, but you probably have had (or have) the chance to listen to most of them.
- Setting up your home studio – Part 6 So far we have focused on the room that will accommodate your home studio, its soundproofing and acoustics. The time has come to start thinking about everything that will go inside. Let's begin with the one thing you can't do without: a monitoring system.
- Setting Up Your Home Studio - Part 5 Having a soundproof home studio is very nice. But that's far from enough to make a room ideal to record and mix music. Enter acoustic treatment.