Rca BK-5B

(1 review)
  • yoTrakkzyoTrakkz

RCA classic

Rca BK-5BPublished on 11/29/11 at 21:51
    The RCA BK 5B mics are rapidly becoming my new favorite thing, so I was really psyched to try the MXL R44 ribbon microphone. It works the same as any other ribbon microphone, and its just as fragile as any of them, so be careful using it. Definitely don't use it for live gigs, or anywhere outside the studio. Make sure especially not to accidentally turn on phantom power, as the ribbon can not handle it, and the mic will be destroyed.

This is the first BK 5B I've used that I wasn't absolutely in love with, but that's mainly because I've been fortunate to use really good ones. I like the sound of this on vocals, as well as a drum mono overhead. I also really like this microphone on horns, and string sections (or individual strings). There's really quite a wide variety to be had with ribbon mics in terms of which instruments you can record with them. I will say that this particular mic doesn't work too well on distorted guitars, at least not on its own.
    This one isn't bad, and it does work just like a ribbon mic, but it doesn't have quite the warmth or feel of a good ribbon. It's still a decent mic, and when you consider the price of it, it holds up pretty well to its counterparts (like most MXL mics do, considering they are pretty cheap overall). I doubt I would want to use it in the studio as much as our Reslo ribbon mic, but I would certainly consider buying one for my home setup at some point, if I can't afford another ribbon (or I don't think it's worth it). I'm spoiled in the sense that I get to work in some nice studios where there are nice mics a lot, but for those of us who aren't as lucky, there's affordable, solid microphones like this one.
  • moosersmoosers

Rca BK-5BPublished on 06/28/10 at 10:41
    The RCA BK-5B is a vintage ribbon microphone that is designed for broadcast and studio purposes. I've only got experience using the mic in the recording studio, but I do believe that the original intentions for the mic were for broadcasting. The mic has a cable attached to it and also comes on a small mic stand that is made for putting the mic on your desk. The mic has a uniaxial pick up pattern, which is similar to a cardioid pattern but it also picks up sounds from the side and from the side. It will pick up frequencies between 30 Hz and 20 kHz.

The RCA BK-5B is definitely a great mic to have around the studio. It's kind of a like a really thick sounding Shure SM57, as it seems to work well for similar applications. Although it's physically thicker and larger than a 57, it has the sound to match. I've used the BK-5B for a variety of applications including for recording kick drum, snare drum, vocals, and electric guitar. It's definitely versatile enough to be used across the board, but these were the applications that I got a chance to use it for. Even though it's a ribbon microphone, it doesn't sound like a traditional ribbon microphone, although it does share a low output level. I don't really know what kind of price the BK-5Bs go for used these days, but I would imagine that they would be about mid level. You definitely won't see too many BK-5Bs out there, as I've only seen the one that I've used before. They probably didn't make too many of these, but if you are interested in vintage ribbon microphones that aren't as expensive as other vintage RCA mics, the BK-5B is something you should definitely be aware of.

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)
Advertising (Google Ads)
Marketing (Meta Pixel)

On our websites, we use the Meta Pixel. The Meta Pixel is a remarketing pixel implemented on our websites that allows us to target you directly via the Meta Network by serving ads to visitors of our websites when they visit the social networks Facebook and Instagram. The meta pixel are code snippets which are able to identify your browser type via the browser ID - the individual fingerprint of your browser - and to recognise that you have visited our websites and what exactly you have looked at on our websites. When you visit our websites, the pixel establishes a direct connection to Meta's servers. Meta is able to identify you by your browser ID, as this is linked to other data about you stored by Meta on your Facebook or Instagram user account. Meta then delivers individualised ads from us on Facebook or on Instagram that are tailored to your needs.

We ourselves are not in a position to identify you personally via the meta pixel, as apart from your browser ID no other data is stored with us via the pixel.

For more information about the Meta Pixel, the details of data processing via this service and Meta's privacy policy, please visit Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Facebook and Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Instagram.

Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. is a subsidiary of Meta Platforms, Inc. based in the USA. It cannot be ruled out that your data collected by Facebook will also be transmitted to the USA.

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)

Advertising (Google Ads)