MuseScore is free and open source notation software available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and translated in 43 languages.
You can download MuseScore 1.1 for free from musescore.org.
The main focus for version 1.1 has been stability and reliability, according to the company.
MuseScore 1.1 includes several new and enhanced features for working with lead sheets and other jazz charts.
- New “Jazz Lead Sheet” template
- Enhanced MuseJazz font for use in titles and other text elements as well as in chord symbols
- Chord symbols can now be entered on beats that do not contain notes, allowing multiple chords to be entered in bars containing only a single note or rest
- Tab / Shift-Tab key during chord entry moves to next / previous measure
- New chord symbol style options, including triangle for major and circle with a slash for half-diminished
- New “Slash Notation Styles” plug-in available for download
Two tutorials (basic & advanced) are designed to help you master the art of making lead sheets.
If you carefully looked at the screen shot above, you might have spotted MuseScore Connect already at the right side.
MuseScore Connect will bring you sheet music shared by MuseScore users on musescore.com, the latest news coming from Twitter, and video tutorials to get started with MuseScore.
Two months from now, the MuseScore trunk will go into a feature freeze. This means that the development team will stop adding features and start working on stability and progressing toward the release of MuseScore 2.0.
MuseScore 2.0 will support tablature notation for fretted instruments such as guitar and lute, as well as import of Guitar Pro files.
There will be linked parts for ensemble music, which can automatically synchronize notes between the full score and the extracted parts while editing.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Avid Sibelius 7 Avid has announced Sibelius 7, the newest version of the music notation software, with MusicXML interchange support, sample library and a new task-oriented user interface.
- AudioFront DSP Trigger v1.1 AudioFront has released version 1.1 of DSP Trigger, a software-based audio to MIDI converter.
- Neo-Soul Suitcase Fender Rhodes Plugin The Neo-Soul Suitcase Fender Rhodes Plugin, is a urban sounding rhodes that is designed to reproduce the sound, feel, and playability of a real Fender Rhodes Suitcase.