• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Fender FM 25R

Average Score:3.9( 3.9/5 based on 24 reviews )
 5 reviews21 %
 14 reviews58 %
 4 reviews17 %
 1 user review4 %
heads on fire01/28/2012

heads on fire's review"Too limited."

Model Name: Frontman® 25R
$129.99
023-1502-000
Electronics

Inputs: One
Auxiliary Input: Auxilliary RCA Input for CD/MP3 Player, Drum Machine, etc.
Headphone Jack: 1/4" Headphone jack
Channels: Two Selectable Channels (Normal and Drive)
Power Handling: 25 Watts into 8 Ohms
Controls: Normal Volume, Gain, Drive Select Switch, Drive Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Reverb
Hardware

Cabinet Material: Black textured vinyl covering
Handle: Molded Black Handle
Front Panel: "Blackface"™ Style Control Panel
Amplifier Length: 8.25" (21.6 cm)
Amplifier Width: 17" (43.2 cm)
Amplifier Height: 15.5" (39.4 cm)
Amplifier Weight: 25 lbs. (11.4 kg)
Effects: Reverb
Speakers

Speaker: 1-10" Fender® Special Design Speaker
Speaker Impedance: 8 Ohm
Accessories

Footswitch: Uses Optional 1-Button Footswitch for Channel Select, p/n 0994052000 (Not Included)
Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs

This is an alright little guitar practice amp from Fender. I'm saying it's "OK", because other amps in a similar price point are better, like any of the Line 6 Spider series amps. The reason why those amps are better than this one is that this amp only has 2 channels. I know, I grew up on one and then two channel practice amps, so what should I be complaining about? The Line 6 amps at this price range have 4 channels, so a wider variety of sounds can be used. Also, those amps have a variety of effects, like delays, chorus, flange, phase, and tremolo - all with the ability to save sound setups in each channel.

This Fender, by contrast, has reverb, and two channels. They sound decent, but there's not nearly as much variety, so there's not as much to keep today's ADHD generation kids entertained. Shiny bells and whistles help keep easily bored kids stay into creating sounds, which keeps the guitar in their hands, which gets them to be better musicians.

The sounds it does offer aren't anything special. It's a small solid-state practice amp, so it sounds like a small solid-state practice amp. Nothing would make this amp sound like a raging Marshall stack. This little guy has 25 watts of power, whereas the comparable L6 amp has just 15. So it is a louder amp overall.

I just think Fender can do better than this. It seems like they're skating by on name recognition and cosmetics. This amp isn't nearly as versatile as a comparable Line 6, so I can't recommend it.
MGR/Anonymous10/01/2011

MGR/Anonymous's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
This is an older 90's Mexican Assembled Amplifier. 25 watts rms, 10' stock speaker, clean and overdrive channels. Black Metal Grill. Attached 3 prong power cable. Solid State.
I've been an active gig-playing musician for over 48 years. Although I gig Traditional Country with a Tel Am Std, I play a variety of music at home.

I bought this amp recently on CraigsList, after buying our son a new Indonisian Frontman 25R several years ago. I was so impressed by his 25R, that I had to get one for myself just for practicing at home. I paid $40 on Craigslist for mine and am just as impressed with this one as I am with our son's newer version.

I don't use the overdrive channel, so I cannot comment on it. But, the lead channel is full and articulate. Very nice sounding. Nice high, mids and impressive lows.The reverb sounds good and the amp itself seems very solid and well-built. This is a very versatile little amp, that is unquestionably Fender in sound and build.

Nothing negative to proclaim about this amp. It is everything good I expected and more in most areas.

As I said before, it is built well, and appears no shortcuts were taken, given the amp is what it is. Don't expect it to be a Vibro King and you won't be disappointed.The fit and finish represent a very well-designed little amp.

The bottom line is this; It has the dynamics you would expect from a Fender and ample power for home practice use and possibly small rehearsal spaces and coffee house-type gigs. Given the nature of so many players these days to bring small, under-powered amps to gigs, only to mic them thru a larger sound system, you won't find this amp as a stand-alone in anyone's concert backline. But, it will hold its own in the right environment. Enjoy!

iamqman07/06/2011

iamqman's review"Practice only"

Fender FM 25R
Fender has been building these inexpensive practice amps and they have really taken off. These amps though very inexpensive and not built very well have a huge market for many beginner guitarists or musicians that need a simple amp for practice usage.

These amps doesn't sound very good and not really intended to be killer tone machines either. They are designed to be practice units and silent players. If you need a cheap amp for silent playing and want a Fender tone then this is the way to go. This is not interned to be a gigging amp.

Fender Frontman 25R Texas Red 25-watt Combination Electric Guitar Amplifier Features:

* Amp type: solid state
* Output: 25 watts into
* Ohms: 8 ohms
* Speakers: 1-10" Fender® Special Design Speaker
* Channels: two selectable channels (normal and drive)
* Reverb

Number of Models 0
Number of Tubes 0
Preamp Tubes No Tubes
Power Tubes No Tubes
Inputs 1 x Instrument, 2 x RCA (Aux)
Outputs 1 x Headphones (1/4")
Footswitch I/O Yes
Effects Loop No Effects Loop
Height 15.5"
Width 17"
Depth 8.25"
Weight 25 lbs.

There is no sound difference in this amp than the black version. You just get a nice red tolex job rather than the standard black tolex covering. I prefer the look of the black personally.

It doesn't have that many control knobs to get in the way so it is not a hard amp to get used to The thing has two channels and in my opinion it should have some amp modeling or something else to go along with this thing. To me the clean are fantastic but the dirty channel is really thin brittle and everything a solid state amp sounds like. It has no character or soul in the tone and you ave to fight the thing to make a decent sound out of it.

For the cleans they accept a Fender Strat or Tele best. For the dirty channel any less than a humbucker style guitar will just sound like trash. Doesn't really matter what guitar you use with it because it is a big disappointment.

I do not recommend this amp to anyone. If you want something that sounds good good with the Peavey Viper or the Roland Cube. At new these units come in at around $99. Even though the price is very low the sound from this thing just doesn't make you want to play the guitar for hours. And that is the biggest factor in buying and amp....does it make you want to get better as a player....the answer for this amp is simply...no. I don't want to hear this thing and I don't want to look at it. If only used as a practice unit for silent purposes then it does the trick.
iamqman04/21/2011

iamqman's review"Not bad for the price"

Fender FM 25R
This amp by no means is meant for going outside of the house. You tuck this thing away and never let anyone hear it or see it. It is designed to be a practice amp, but the tone from it is really horrible. I am don't care to listen to it at all because the tone is just lousy. The clean of course sounds good. If Fender the kings of clean tone didn't make it sound good on the clean then thy would have a big problem.

Fender Frontman 25R 25-watt Combination Electric Guitar Amplifier Features:

* Amp type: solid state
* Output: 25 watts into
* Ohms: 8 ohms
* Speakers: 1-10" Fender® Special Design Speaker
* Channels: two selectable channels (normal and drive)
* Reverb

Number of Models 0
Number of Tubes 0
Preamp Tubes No Tubes
Power Tubes No Tubes
Inputs 1 x Instrument, 2 x RCA (Aux)
Outputs 1 x Headphones (1/4")
Footswitch I/O Yes
Effects Loop No Effects Loop
Height 15.5"
Width 17"
Depth 8.25"
Weight 25 lbs.

Not a hard amp to get used to. It doesn't have that many control knobs to get in the way. The thing has two channels and in my opinion it should have some amp modeling or something else to go along with this thing. To me the clean are fantastic but the dirty channel is really thin brittle and everything a solid state amp sounds like. It has no character or soul in the tone and you ave to fight the thing to make a decent sound out of it.

Doens's really matter what guitar you use with it because it is a big disappointment. For the cleans they accept a Fender Strat or Tele best. For the dirty channel any less than a humbucker style guitar will just sound like trash.

MGR/Stevo11/20/2007

MGR/Stevo's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
I have been playing the bass (Fender custom P-Bass with a Jazz neck) for about 15 years and decided to make the jump to electric guitar. I bought this amp along with a Fender MIM Strat w/ direct mount p/u I have played (the Bass) in a few bands and done some studio work.

I bought this amp from Musicians Friend for $139.99.

I bought this amp to complement a MIM limited run Strat with direct mount pickups. I wanted the genuine Fender sound without investing a lot of money. This amp is great for my purposes (learning the 6 string electric) If you're looking for something to make your neighbors ears bleed, keep looking, but if you're looking for something to jam around the house or mic through a PA at a gig (and dont havve hundreds of dollars to spendhttps://static.audiofanzine.com/images/audiofanzine/interface/smileys/icon_wink.gifthis could be the amp for you. I have been playing around with ir for about a week and get a good variety of sounds out of it with my strat, by playing with all of the knobs and buttons. The clean channel provides a range of sounds from surf to twangy country tones, while the drive channel gives a fair variety of rock sounds from vintage rock to metal. With the built in reverb function, I don't see the need to invest in any effects in the near future.

Like I said it won't make the neighbors ears bleed, but it is loud enough to get me in trouble with the wife.

The construction is light weight and extremely portable. The Quality is as good or exceeding the price range, as far as sound goes, and it boasts a five year warranty according to the tag that came on it. i have not had the opportunity to test Fenders warranty policy ( a testament in it's own right), but a five year warranty on an amp in t his price range is impressive to me.

I recommend this amp to anyone that is a beginner, broke, or just needs a light, substantial, and portable amp for practice. It is even an acceptable giging amp if your band has a substantial PA to mic through. The fender sound at a cheap price.

MGR/the number 12 looks like you05/20/2006

MGR/the number 12 looks like you's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
Beginner, play modern rock/metal, play when I can.

Bought it at Sam Goody for I think $130. Prior to this amp I have been using a little Kustom 10w, so I wanted something a little more powerful.

Very nice design, and nice looking. The overdrive is very nice. I use it with a Squire and it makes the guitar sound much better, especially for playing heavier stuff. The control knobs and inputs are very nice as well.

The only small probly I have noticed is where the cord connects to the back of the unit. Its a removable cord, and I've noticed a few times my cord came a little loose. Not a huge deal though. Also, a footswitch would have been nice as well.

Nice construction. Pretty heavy duty and beautiful classic look. The only small drawback I mentioned is the cord connection, but I doubt this is an issue on all the models.

This amp is great for a beginner or practice amp, especially someone with a cheaper guitar. It will give you great sound and gets pretty loud. This might even be suitable for small gigs, and house parties, etc. This is a great value especially for carrying the Fender name.

MGR/Michael 12/30/2003

MGR/Michael 's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
I purchased the amplifier new from Guitar Center for $139.99 plus tax. I purchased the amp mostly because of the price and the reputation of the Fender name. I also like the fact that it did not have built in effects because I already own a multi-effects pedal from Digitech. I just wanted a stripped down amp with great sound.

The size is perfect...small enough to be portable and large enough to rattle the windows. It has great overall tone and the drive channel works well for most types of rock or electric blues. With some tweaking the clean channel has great sound as well. For the most part I don't even use my effects pedal through the amp because I like the sound quality it provides by itself. The reverb feature is great as well.

The clean channel seems to have a lot more gain to it than the drive channel. I find that I have to turn down the volume from the guitar when on this channel. I also noticed a lot of white noise (hissing) when I connected my effects pedal to this channel. If I switch to the drive channel and turn the gain down the problem is not there. This can all be fixed with some simple adjustments of the amp and pedal EQ controls.

I like the placement of the knobs and switches. The unit did not come with a foot-switch, but I was able to construct one from parts available at Radio Shack for less than $8 (I'm just too cheap to spend $20 on one.) The speaker provides great sound. The only sound issue I found is that when played at higher volumes the front grill seems to rattle a bit (but so does everything else in the house).

Bottom Line: If you are a professional this would make a great practice amp. Probably not great for a gig. If you are like me, playing concerts for your wife and 2 year old at home, I would highly recommend this amp. It has plenty of punch for your home and other small gigs. If you want portable and powerful you'll find it in this amp.

MGR/stringbender11/22/2003

MGR/stringbender's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
bought from musicians friend. for 125.00 on sale.

reverb

it was brand new, came with a torn upholstory on the corners. speaker fuzzed out, reverb spring came loose. started making wierd noises.

crap

crap

MGR/John Miller01/31/2002

MGR/John Miller's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
Bought this unit brand new at Steve's Music in Montreal.Had just bought a Strat to play at home and wanted a brand name amp at an affordable price that could deliver enough punch to practice at home without having to be extremely loud or pack enough punch to blow out the windows which I didn't need.

It's light, compact and has enough Fender style reverb to satisy most guitarists and play some decent blues and jazz stuff.

Fender could have put a distortion effect on this unit as well as they did with the higher end model.I was obliged to purchase a Boss distortion pedal to get some kind of guts out of the amp when playing Rock.

Quality seems top notch so far and it is built quite solid.It delivers exactly what I expected.

A great amp for rehearsal and garage playing with enough volume to satisfy most non professionals however probably would not be enough amp to please younger guys looking to rip and pound their way through a Metallica riff.The gain has a bit more noise than I would have liked but is only noticeable when playing some very quiet Jazz stuff. For just under 300.00$ a good amp that should last a long long time.

MGR/Anonymous07/26/2001

MGR/Anonymous's review"Fender Frontman 25R"

Fender FM 25R
My uncle who is currently in Australia visited by a couple of months ago and here he asked me what I wanted from australia. I told him that he should find a good practise amp. Well he went to Australia and mailed me that a good practise amp is Fender Frontman 25 R. He had bought it from a music store not mentioning the price of the object and mailed me the amp.

The main feature is the true Fender reverb and the push button distortion. The highly sensitive controlls with a Heavy Distortion and double channel playing which allows us play clean or with distortion. This unit is Head phone, External Speakers and Foot Pedal competible. Just what a learner needed.

At the moment I cant think about the thing which I dont like about this super unit. But the only faint distraction is the noise when the drive channel is high.

This is a well built, good looking and attractive little unit with jet black metal grill infront of speakers and the black and white combinated bottons on top. It has a black body which makes it look good which helps its user to get satisfied. It has a single speaker of 16 inches which sounds great with reverb.

Well its just what learners needed, Fender has smaller versions but 25 R is the greatest among those. And young talent take my advise if you are looking for your first amp this should be the one!https://static.audiofanzine.com/images/audiofanzine/interface/smileys/icon_smile.gif