or
Create an account

or

Thread Overly Sensitive Mic Picks Up Everything - Should we Gate it?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Overly Sensitive Mic Picks Up Everything - Should we Gate it?
We are using a Marshal Condenser Microphone to record vocals. While it is a great microphone, it is picking minute noises in the background. For example, if I slightly brush my sleeve with my hand, it picks up the sound. I have pondered the idea of adding a bit of gate to eliminate these obtrusive sounds. Is this a good idea? If we did, what settings would you suggest? We are using a Korg d16xd digital recorder. Any other ideas or tricks?

Thanks everyone.
so if it is picking up tiny noises that quiet, are you getting a loud signal from your vocals or is it relatively quieter than you would expect given the volume of the quiet, unwanted noises?

it could possibly be something to do with the gain being too high on an input (not familiar with the recorder) or maybe the signal is being compressed till it has no dynamic range and so, quiet noises are as loud are much louder ones in the mix?

yes, my advice would be to gate the signal if you cant find the reason for this... but it might be what was suggested above.
the settings of the gate will depend on what level your noise is at.. set the threshold so that it cuts out the unwanted noise :P