or
Create an account

or

Thread recording drums first?

• 5 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 0 follower
1 recording drums first?
I'm a drummer, but i play with other guiatrists vocalists etc. we've made some music before, recoridng individually, but the timing is always a little messed up because we have the guitarists go first. i know you're supposed to have the drummer record first, but how would you go about doing that, because how would you know when to do a fill, or switch the rhythm for a chorus or something of that nature. please help

Thank you
well generally before you step foot into a studio you should know your shit up and down. so i would say learn it the best you can.
if you cant accomplish this for whatever reason (time constraints ect.), then pipe a headphone mix of the guitarist playing live into your phones. either put him in a separate room and mic him, use the headphone out from his amp, or pull from a DI track. there are many ways to accomplish this.....
maybe playing to a click track wouldn't be such a bad idea either.
get the drummer to wear headphones in which he can hear the guitarist playing while he is recording his drums.
always do drums first.
play to a click track too.. it makes editing easier. much easier.

%1$s a écrit get the drummer to wear headphones in which he can hear the guitarist playing while he is recording his drums.
always do drums first.
play to a click track too.. it makes editing easier. much easier.

I second all of this.
one way ive done it which helps depending on the style of music and if you have a lot of tempo or time signature changes, is to set a click track for the song (including time or tempo changes) and have the guitarist record scratch tracks to it. you can listen to those when you are tracking the drums. it doesnt really take that much extra time but actually helps in the long run because all of the tracks will be perfect to the click. if time is a serious issue, having the guitarist play in the other room works fine too, just like everyone else has said.
I as a drummer also find it hard to go complete;y off a click track. Get a guitarist or bassist to play to the click first and play along to this. then delete the guitar/bass track and re-do.